Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunters can be lucky and deer sure can be too.... >

Hunters can be lucky and deer sure can be too....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters can be lucky and deer sure can be too....

Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunters can be lucky and deer sure can be too....

I believe most hunters will admit that luck has played at least a small part in some of their hunting experiences. The same can be said for the deer as well.

As an example, I have had deer walk past my treestand totally unaware I was looking down at them from 20 feet watching their every move. All the deer had to do was keep walking in the same direction and a perfect shot would be offered. Did he do that?..Nooooo, he suddenly decided to move slowly quartering away through the thick pines. It seemed he had to go out of his way to do this and by his actions, I was totally convinced he had no clue I was watching and waiting.

This buckmust have had a 4 leaf clover or a horseshoe hidden some where in his antlers because Lady Luck was definitely on his side.

Have you had similar experiences where the deer lived to see another dawn simply because it made an unexpected move that alloweed it to walk away clean?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters can be lucky and deer sure can be too....

I have deffinately had experiences like that. It seems as if they know that the next step they take will be their last and for some reason decide to turn 90 degrees and walk straight away directly behind a tree. Although I had the exact opposite happen with a bear I took. He was home free as long as he kept wlking in a straight line through the laurel but for some unknown reason he decided to stop dead in his tracks, turn 90 degrees to his left and walk straight out in the open 20 yards away broadside. Of course it was a fatal mistake. I think he left his horseshoe at home that day.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Luck definitely plays a role in it. Skill is the major component of consistent success but their is always an element of luck and I have had it go my and the deer's way. I think the deer are ahead in that category though
Old 06-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Luck is a big part of me missing a big buck. Good luck for the deer that is. I had a big 10 point buck standing right over my 15 yard mark and when I shot I hit a vine no bigger then a pencil, it deflected the arrow up and over the back of the biggest buck I have ever seen in teh woods.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I was hunting from the ground in NJ in the nineties when I had a big old doe come in to me with two little ones in tow. these deer were no more than 15 feet away. I was at full draw and was going to squeeze the shot through an opening, but decided to wait for a better one three feet further. that saved her life. she smelled a cover scent I layed down and bolted back away. no shot. she knew that I was in my stand every time I sat there, whether or not I actually moved it, which I did. smart old thing. never did get her, close, but no cigar.