Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tell us about that deer that you "Really Earned". >

Tell us about that deer that you "Really Earned".

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tell us about that deer that you "Really Earned".

Old 06-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tell us about that deer that you "Really Earned".

Most of us shoot deer under normal, or somewhat normal conditions. We go into the woods, do our scouting, sightin our rifles, come up with a game plan and hopefully punch our tag on a deer.

However sometimes that does not always happen. Situations may change that affect our hunt.

In my case it was excessive rainy, cold, windy weather. I had hunted this area in Maine and all day it had poured. I was soaked to the bones.My son decided he had enough and went to the truck about 3PM because he was actually sick and we later discovered he had a temp. When I left my son, he was in the heated truck and much more comfortable. I had to decide whether to return to camp or hunt the last hour in a cold, nasty, windy, rainyday. I decided to hunt and went into a thick cedar swamp and waited for any possible chance. I kept thinking my odds must be close to zero to even see a deer, never mind shoot one.

But, that all changed with less than 5min in left in the day. An 8 pointer had bedded down not 40 yds way and for some unknown reason decided to get up. He had no idea I was looking right at him through my sights and seconds later it was over...

Had I done what everyone else did and went back to camp, (and if I had an ounce of brain, I would have done it too,) but I never would have tagged that deer. Yes, in my mind, I went the extra distance and without a doubt, earned that buck.

Have you had any similar hunts where determination played a key part in your success?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tell us about that deer that you "Really Earned".

There have been a few deer I earned. But one probably stands out a little more. My 2nd year of hunting and it was a year when my Dad wasn't able to take me out for our doe season due to a new job.Our doe season was only 3 days, deer were not as abundant, so doing small deer drives was about the best way to get action. I hunted the first day with my uncle and cousin, and then 1 hour in the evenings with my dad. A few close calls and a miss or 2 and it didn't look good for me to tag a deer that year. But I had a saving opportunity, they extended doe season for a day. Given a full day of hunting with my Dad I was confidentI could get a doe. On the 3 or 4th push 2 deer came out and I was able to get a clean shot.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:28 AM

Good job Jimmy S! Way to hang in there and stick it out!

I actually like huntin in the rain.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years back a buddy and I were hunting one of the local WMA's. We were planning on hunting about a mile from the truck and there aren't any roads so we took off to our spots. We got there before daylight an hunted until about noon. We hadn't seen any deer so we decided to climb down and look for some fresher sign. It had warmed up to the mid 60's while we were hunting (in semi-flooded timber) and when we climbed down the mosquietos literally tried to carry us off. If you have ever seen the videos of the guys bear hunting when the bugs are really bad, that is what is was like. So we got down and started walking (and sweating) and stripping off layers of clothing (it was cold that morning). We walked for an hour and a half or so until we found some really good sign. I told the guy I was with unless he wanted to hunt there that I was going to. He wanted to keep looking for a better spot so he left me and kept on going. Well I was setup by about 2:00 and got on the shady side of the tree and tried to cool down for about 30 minutes. About 3:30 I could see a deer about 100 yardsoutbut I couldn't tell what it was. I picked up my can call and bleated a couple of times. After a couple of minutes I heard a deer coming from the opposite direction. It was a a pretty good 9 pt. and he came in on a string and I put a good shot on him though he was quartering to me more than I had originally thought. He made it about 80 yards and laid down and died. When I got to him at dark, I pushed the button on my GPS and I was 2.2 miles from the truck[&:]We wound up getting home about 11:00 after the hour drive. The next morning, after only getting 4 hours of sleep, we were back on our stands at daylight
Old 06-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would have to be the year I shot a doe in the crowded woods of pa. Probably 20 plus other hunters within seeing distance behind trees. I shot the deer and it ran smack in to a 20 foot high huge briar patch and fell over.I walked up to it and it got up and started running.My gun jammed . Instead of taking the chance everyone else would machine gun it down and cause a fight I ran after it and jumped on its back .I stabbed it over 20 times in the neck while I was on a wild ride. It finally fell over within 10 yards of another hunter ready to blast it.I figured if I was on it no one would shoot and take it.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Probably the time I learned a lesson is the time I really earned the buck. A nice 7 pointer had stopped about 25 yards from my stand. I decided to try a head shot since I had a nice clear view. Well, I don't know if I flinched or he moved, but it hit him in the muzzle and blew off his jaw.
I somehow manged to remain calm and as he was quartering away (rather quicky) I was able to put another round in the rear of the rib cage that traveled forward at an angle, hitting vitals. While I was waiting for the results of that shot, I went to chamber another round, but got my hoisting string caught behind the hammer. I couldn't have done a third shot if I had to.
I thought I heard it run off, but was joyous to find it about 10 yards from the second shot.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

That would have to be the year I shot a doe in the crowded woods of pa. Probably 20 plus other hunters within seeing distance behind trees. I shot the deer and it ran smack in to a 20 foot high huge briar patch and fell over.I walked up to it and it got up and started running.My gun jammed . Instead of taking the chance everyone else would machine gun it down and cause a fight I ran after it and jumped on its back .I stabbed it over 20 times in the neck while I was on a wild ride. It finally fell over within 10 yards of another hunter ready to blast it.I figured if I was on it no one would shoot and take it.
Well, that's gotta be the best I've heard yet! (assuming its true).
Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 PM

I can't beat cardeer. I just wish it had been a lama.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honest ,Have my wife as a witness And God. No one is taking my deer.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:44 PM

Earning a deer.....thats a pretty relative term. The have been so many in my lifetime - I have truly been blessed. By earning do you mean the one where you toughed it out in horrible conditions wind, rain, sleet, snow for days on end up in a tree in wet boots to FINALLY get a nice 5 point. He was a great deer. Or do you mean the one that you scouted all summer, placed stands in specific locations and only hunted those stands when the wind and conditions were perfect and passed up all others hoping for Mr. Right? Or is it the one you are most proud of? My first (mounted on my wall is still a pleasure to look at and relive the story - even though he is not the biggest or highest scoring deer I have taken.

The deer I "earned" the most was probably one not even shot by me. I happened to connect on a good buck opening day morning at 7 am. In my camp that means I'm relegated to cooking, camp chores and pushing on every drive. My best friend had driven 900 miles to hunt this property and I was gonna push something to himeven if it killed me. I'm a big guy and I stomped up and down every ravine, through thorn apple woodlots (the ones with the 2 inch thorns....) , through swamps and river bottoms, over the top of the steepest ridges, through the deepest darkest briar and prickerbush patches known to man throughout the propertyand generally abused myself for the next 4 days - sun up to sundown.After 4 days I was a beaten, bruised, scratched, very soreand beaten man - and still my friend had yet to see a deer. On the last day, last drive, at last light I busted a monster into a cut corn field to him....40 yards broadside - him with with a scoped .308...fresh tenderloins, onions and cold beer never tasted so good!! Yea. I earned that one - Big Time.

Quick Reply: Tell us about that deer that you "Really Earned".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.