Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 It's better to be lucky than good - deer down! >

It's better to be lucky than good - deer down!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It's better to be lucky than good - deer down!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's better to be lucky than good - deer down!

Well, I went back to Ohio to spend a couple days with my family this past week. By some huge coincidence, it happened to coincide with the Ohio muzzleloader season. So I had only 1 day to hunt (that is 1 day to hunt this whole year). As luck would have it, it was going to be 65 degrees and very windy- not the greatest hunting weather.

Anyways, Saturday morning found me 20 feet up in a tree stand sweating in my jacket. I saw nothing except 2 coyotes that I didn't have a shot at. About 10:30am, I was about to get down from the stand when I saw a big doe booking it towards me.(Turns out, my hunting buddy had walked through a bedding area and spooked it right towards me)

I readied my gun and saw that it wasn't going to come all that close to me. When it was about 90 yards away running, I yelled once, twice then 3 times to try and get it to stop. Finally, it stopped, right between 2 trees so I had a clear shot. At the shot, it spun and took off down the hill. I felt pretty good about the shot, so I got down from the stand and reloaded, walked over to where it was. I didn't see any blood, but I saw where it had headed. After about 30 yards there was some blood, and then a really good blood trail for about another 40 yards, and yup, there it was. Except the "she" was a "he" that had shed his antlers prematurely.

It turns out that it hadn't completely stopped running when I shot- so instead of hitting it in the shoulder where I was aiming, I hit about 10 inches back right through the liver. The deer only ran about 70 yards total though, after the shot, and left a good blood trail. What was more interesting, was that the deer had been shot earlier, in the neck- probably a few weeks ago.

It was just a flesh wound- the bullet (or arrow) sliced out part of the skin & hide, but didn't penetrate through much, if any muscle. Kinda nasty- some pus in it- probably part of the healing process. The stress of this might have caused the buck to drop its antlers earlier than usual. Then, time for the fun drag through the swamp to the truck[:@]

Overall, I was very happy and felt blessed & lucky to get a deer in 3.5 HOURS of total hunting time this year. So sometimes it is better to be lucky than good

Technical details of the hunt/shot:
.45 cal CVA inline
95 grains T7 FFFG
200 grain .40 cal XTP w/Harvestor sabot
Range: about 90 yards

Bullet missed both the paunch and from what I could tell, the lungs (although it might have clipped part of the back of 1 lung). The X-Ring was the liver, which looked like it had been put through a blender. The bullet completely passed through, exited the ribcage, but did not exit the deer. I found it lodged under the far-side skin.

The XTP performed superb (as usual, per my experience) - the problem this time was the shooter, or the fact the deer was still moving forward.

So I got a late Christmas present! A late Merry Christmas to you all too!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: It's better to be lucky than good - deer down!

Congrats and GREAt story!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good for you.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

You GO Hound!!

Congrats! Great story and Excellent Harvest Those 200g XTP's shoot excellent, and I always wondered how they would performat a decent range with that same speed. Thanks for the super report
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe and great write-up.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

An excellent write up. Congratulations on the buck.

Also some good information there.. I have always wondered how well those 200 grain Hornady XTP's would work. It appears they work real good. I have shot them and they gave me some excellent accuracy..
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Great report, and congratulations on the deer !!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the doe and the excellent write up.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Great story, and congrations....
Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone! I'm still pumped about it- I had serious doubts about any success with my hunting time so limited this year.

If anyone has any 200 grain XTP's they are sick and tired of, you can send them my way - this is kill #3 for me with them, and this was the first non-boom-flop (due to shot placement). Based on my very limited experiences with this bullet, I've come to these conclusions:

At impact velocities up to about 1750 fps: Expect complete pass-throughs and golf-ball sized exit holes
At impact velocities from about 1800 - 1950 fps: Expect quick expansion, lots of damage, but you might not get an
exit hole, depending on the angle and other factors.

I have no experience with this bullet at velocities higher than this.

Quick Reply: It's better to be lucky than good - deer down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.