Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colockum Elk numbers >

Colockum Elk numbers

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colockum Elk numbers

Old 12-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colockum Elk numbers

January to about april the only ones of us who can get up there (except maybe this year) are us Snowmobilers, and during those months there are no animals up high any way, Also, just about the entire Quilomene GMU is closed to snowmobiling. As for gates -there are too many already,and I dont want to start that direction at all. How about maybe some ENFORCEMENT instead, or maybe cameras at access points (been through an intersection lately) since the technology is out there and we must all soon have the license plates soon that have the hologram that acts as a BULLSEYE for those cameras! (CD in the rear window can confuse them!)

ORIGINAL: OUfan

i was up in the naches area this week elk hunting in the cleman area. and i talked to a biologist and they are putting gates on the area up there to keep all the people out from jan1st to april 31st for the protection of the herd since that is a wintering area. that is what they need to do on the colockum and it might keep the rest of those of those warhoops out of there from killing the rest of the herd
Old 12-24-2004, 10:05 AM

The original BIA orders that governed Native American Hunting 'implied' that they could take what was reasonable to stock their tables-it has been on the books since 1896 and was lasted changed in 1953-mostly the fishing protections acts that followed the major dams. It is illegal for them under this provision to harvest beyond what can be claimed for 'need' at the table. The issue is that is enforced under the sanction of the BIA and therefore is basically unenforceable. I studied this issue fairly closely in a graduate course on Indian Affairs. The BIA feels it is would open a wide range of issues and therefore choses not to enforce its own 'orders'. Meanwhile the slaughter continues almost unabated.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

[:@][][:'(] THIS really sounds like only what is needed on the table
ORIGINAL: Nothing but a Lab

A friend of mine told my of the Indian hunting going on in the Colockum. A Yakima indian kid came to work on my job and he told me he kills between 12 and 15 elk a year. Most out of the Colockum. He also sold a half to a guy on the job for $100. In one day he and his buddies also killed nine mule deer does. He says he kills around 15 to 18 deer a year.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:13 PM

If the press recieved a few letters telling what tribal hunting stands for. I seems the bunny hugging population (that passed the stupid hound hunting laws) would take over from there. It is time for a change. They need to keep the tribal hunting on the reservation. Look what happened to the Nooksak herd. It went from 3000 to less than 400. Anyone have any addresses to government official that might help out?
Old 12-26-2004, 08:15 PM

It sounds like you know a little of the legal side of this issue. What can we do to get things started?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:09 AM

I went up and down the entire BIA structure and got stonewalled when I did the research. The only way that I think one can even have a go at this is through a determined effort and pressure on Congressmen and Senators and then I believe only through the Elk Foundation or NRA. I think the ELK foundation unfortunately seems to lean toward preservation instead of management (its original charter).