Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 IDAHO HUNTERS >

IDAHO HUNTERS

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

IDAHO HUNTERS

Old 12-02-2003, 04:01 PM

Default IDAHO HUNTERS

Are there any idaho hunters around with and pictures/ or stories of the animals they have bagged this fall/winter?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:55 PM

Default RE: IDAHO HUNTERS

I don't have any pictures yet, film has to be developed. I do have a story however. Started up my favorite ridge to hunt at the break of day. There were elk tracks as soon as my dad and I started up the hill. We got up in there about 1/4 of a mile or so and across the gulch we hear an elk bugle. Unfortunately he is on the wrong ridge. We call back for a little bit and then all of the sudden bulls start bugling from everywhere. There were 5 of them all around us, man it was amazing. There was only one on the ridge we were on though so we decided to go on up the ridge. Well my uncle was on the ridge with the bugling elk so dad and I kept it bugling. We got up to where I had shot a 6x6 4 years ago and decided to sit down and call a bit and it paid off in a big way. We sat there cow calling, figured it wouldn't do any good to bugle since there was already 5 of them and my uncle bugling. So sat there cow calling for about 10 minutes or so when an elk bugled from over across the gulch but low. Then he bugled and it sounded like he was coming up the ridge we were on. We frantically tried to get set up, because he was coming fast. Dad ran back up to the ridge top. I tried to get into what I thought was the best position. Then I looked down the hill and there he was, staring straight at me. I got straight behind this huge tree that was between us, drew my bow, leaned out, took aim as he was a little quartering towards me but not to where I couldn't hit both lungs. Then I let go and was pretty sure I had hit him a good one. We waited while all of the elk just kept on bugling around us, man it was great!!!!!!!! We found my arrow, broken [:@], about 15 feet from where I shot him and 30 yards later there he was, he was dead before he knew what had happened. He was a 5x5 bull about average size. Sorry I don't have pictures yet, hope to have them soon and I hope you enjoyed the story.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:53 PM

Congrats... what part of idaho did you shoot it?
Old 12-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do but no way to get them on this sight. It is nice to see more Idaho hunters on this sight.Had a good year though. We made 3 bow kills and 3 rifle kills this year.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:02 PM

sorry it took so long to get back to you but have been kinda busy as of late. I hunt up in the panhandle. My dad and uncle also ended up getting their elk this year. Uncle got a 5x5 the next week a ridge over from where I got mine, dad missed a 6x6 or 7x7[:@] two days after I got mine on the same ridge though. He ended up shooting a spike in muzzleloader season. So where do you guys hunt in Idaho?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:04 PM

If I knew how to put a picture on here I would now be able to let you guys see them. Actually now my bull is my picture. Here you go and enjoy.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:02 PM

or rather here you go
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 AM

Here's an idaho bull taken back in November in central idaho. Taken at 150 yards with a 30-06. He was sitting in a sunny bowl staying warm. The best part was on a 1/4 mile hike back to the truck. Now that is luck.