Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
New CO hunter,  need a buddy, are a buddy. >

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Spike

Symantec's! But whatever. Yes I did. But of course I am scouting like mad hoping CRad has a chance to meet me out there. I am going to try to help him fix his blinds and walk some trails. Drove down the old camp rd and hit the dead end.all looked good but I may be hunting hayman scar and that way north which means I will be crowded. We will see. Thanks for the sight and I read it before last year. And it helped to read it again.thanks...
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't mean to bust your chops, but I didn't want you shooting an illegal bull.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Spike

Well that would not be a fair catch would it.he he like I am even going to get close to a elk in 511. I prob just wasted my money anyway.. Sniff sniff. But I am paying for the opportunity right, nothing beats experience. I am trying to teach my son to hunt but I don't even know how. I admit I have a hunting problem I can't find any thing legal to hunt.. But on the off note I did go out again this morning and look for the turkey sign...and of course just ended up with like 3 doe deer..FYI for hunters with 511 tags.. Call turkey and deer show up. OK for info purposes it was the west side of hayman fire area. Edge of 51
Old 08-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Spike

You are doing all the right things Bob when it comes to hunting; asking, listening, scouting, and working your butt off. It doesn't mean you will be successful, but you are doing the right things to help you be more successful and giving yourself the best chance possible. And yeah, it is the experience we are after. I was lucky when I started hunting but now I haven't killed an elk in 7 years between bow and rifle, but I can't wait to go out and try again.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I remember being an out of stater from Oklahoma some 13 years ago going elk hunting for the first time. I about wore everyone out on this forum asking questions etc. We didn't have an idea of where to even hunt. I got lucky and talked to a member on here from Grand Junction. He gave me some good info of where to start, and that led me to unit 55. In the end, I didn't take an elk home with me, but I didn't go home skunked. I saw a decent amount of elk when I got away from the two guys who came with me. They didn't do their homework, and didn't listen to anything I learned. They just tried to hunt like they always do for deer. Sidenote.... they haven't gotten a deer in a while now,lol. I did a lot of walking, and climbing, but I had a small heard about run me over. They both saw one elk a piece, supposedly. Do your homework, and be ready to work for it, and you'll reap rewards.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=bobsspike;4075183]... nothing beats experience. I am trying to teach my son to hunt but I don't even know how. I admit I have a hunting problem I can't find any thing legal to hunt... [QUOTE]

I believe that the best thing a new guy can do in Colorado is to take a cow elk hunt with a rifle. Tags are easy to draw, and you can get into some country that would take you years to draw for a bull.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Spike

Update in 511 burn scar still ripe with baby bucks but big boys I have not seen... 51 to 511 2 bucks little guys and several doe. Going to try turkey down in Rocky ford sat or Sunday we will see If they exist. All I hear is that they were everywhere last year and now nothing. So rabbit season soon..before 2nd rifle elk.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im in granby co zip 80446. Im new to Colorado and lookin for a buddy. Iv deer hunted since i was 18(10years) iv bagged 2 deer a year the last three years. Got a turkey few seasons ago. Im a safe responsible hunter
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Spike

Well 2nd rifle is over. I did not see anything. it was like elk and deer everywhere in 511until 1st rifle and then in second nothing. ouch. oh well I think I learned a lot. going to try for 1st rifle next year and see if I can get points for Deer, Crad I think has talked me into bear.

Welcome bigtime, I know one of the responders to this post was in Grandby.. I will see if I can find him again.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here are a couple pieces of advice.

#1) Find out the name of the local game warden for the area you want to hunt. They usually know a lot about the game in the areas they are responsible for. You can look in the regulations and get the phone numbers for the DOW offices. Wait until all the big game seasons are closed before you try to contact them because they will be in the field until they seasons close. Game Wardens work for the taxpayers and they have a lot of info, for some reason hunters are scared to talk to them. Most of them want to see hunters get game.

#2) The DOW website has an online "Elk University". It has a lot of good info about elk hunting for people new to it. There are also interactive game unit maps and recaps of previous seasons posted.

#3) The time to start scouting is now. Even though you don't have a tag there is nothing saying you can't go to the woods during the remaining seasons. try to find where the elk have been feeding, bedding and watering. Look for old wallows and rubs. See how the ridges and trails run. The more you know about the area the better. Scout from now until the next season a couple times a month since things change as the seasons change.

#4) As you are scouting take note of the heaviest, darkest timber and brush you can find. When the elk get pressured they will head for heavy cover. If you know where it is you can let the other hunters push elk to you.

#5) Meet other hunters. Hang out at sporting good stores, if there are guys that cut wild game so see them. Locals will know the game and if you get in good with them it will help you out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.