Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
New CO hunter,  need a buddy, are a buddy. >

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Spike

Default New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Hello everyone, I am trying to find or setup a place to match hunters with new hunters, I need a buddy for me and my 13 year old son. Both have been thru training and are very safe. All we have bagged over 2 years of hunting CO is squirrls . we went antalope hunting and of course on pubic land, it sounded/looked like wwiii. Like 59 hunters in lincone county on 2 square mile area only saw 2 does on private land. Pulled a w25 tag for turkey but have no one to show us the ropes. So we will probly fail again.Co is very frustrating . its almost like u have to pay 500 just to hunt private land for upland birds/or rabbits. Post if you are willing to teach a hunter or you need a buddy. We can try to match up people up with areas. I hunt with crossbow/22/410/12/30.06... I will freaking hunt with a spear if I can learn from someone. I'm in Monument/COS. Thanks guys let's help each other out.

Last edited by bobsspike; 08-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Bob,

We just moved from CO to WY. Too bad, because my 13 year old and I sound like a good fit. It was my impression that hunting in CO is a rich man's sport, so we are glad to be in WY.

If you want to get up here, we can learn it together.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Spike

http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license...s/default.aspx
Not bad for a antelope doe tag but it would be a long drive for me depending where u are but if u had a place set up for hunting, as I don't have a way to scout the area. We can always try..anyone in Wy that can give DJ a location and give him a hand out there.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Spike

Colorado is tough for birds/upland/rabbits and the like, but for big game its tough to beat. I am not familiar with the turkey units since I don't hunt them myself, but try looking at units up by Lake George/Woodland park area. The turkeys are coming in strong there, and theres lots of public land. With that comes a good amount of pressure, but not as bad as public land antelope, which is why I quit hunting them. What about elk/deer? Are you and your son interested in that at all?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

You mean they didn't confiscate your guns at the border when you moved to CO ?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Go North of Woodland Park in the National forest. Do some scouting and you will find turkeys and there are rabbits there to. Walked about 7 miles this past Saturday saw 2 turkeys and 7 rabbits.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Spike

Would love to go after deer and elk but have no idea on where or how to do tags. Where to hunt... maybe badger flats is all I have been to. I don't know if I need pref points and all. I will try to look for turkey up north rampart range rd. Thanks for the pointers. anyone heard about 118 for turkey tracts ranch(pronghorn)? Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Spike

No bullcamp... they only do that to people from WY. they have all the full auto guns with 1000 rnd mags.hehe
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bobsspike
No bullcamp... they only do that to people from WY. they have all the full auto guns with 1000 rnd mags.hehe
So that's why they turned me away at the border when I tried to enter CO with my jeep mounted M2 Browning and said it was for antelope hunting. Makes perfect sense now.

I know we WY people are viewed as Rocky Mountain rednecks by the much more civilized folks in CO.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Spike

Deer tags are slightly more tricky, because they are draw only, but the nice thing is virtually any place in colorado is decent for deer hunting. Not sure how long you have been in CO, but if you wait until you are a resident it will greatly help with tag prices. Rampart range holds a good amount of deer, but even as close as Lake George area and 39-mile mountain, which is unit 58 are good deer areas, although it may take a year or two to get enough points. For elk you can get over-the-counter bull tags which are good for almost 50% of the state if you don't want to hassel with the draw system. You can go as close as rampart range or as far as the far west part of the state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.