Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Cow tag, nile unit.  oct4-10th, suggestions on where to start? >

Cow tag, nile unit. oct4-10th, suggestions on where to start?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Cow tag, nile unit. oct4-10th, suggestions on where to start?

Old 09-24-2003, 09:40 PM

Default Cow tag, nile unit. oct4-10th, suggestions on where to start?

I have hunted with a muzzleloader for the last 6 years, and have taken a cow almost every year during the late season in the little naches. But now they done changed it on me. I was lucky enough to get drawn for a meat tag and got a cow tag for the nile unit. I went scouting there this last Monday and came up with nothing. We scouted up the 1709 and 1706, does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? Should I even stay in the nile or should I go to the bumping in hopes of getting a spike? Thoughts please. Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time.

Dave Q
Old 09-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cow tag, nile unit. oct4-10th, suggestions on where to start?

I hunted this unit during modern season for about three years. I was lucky to get a shot at a spike the first year. But I missed. Not sure what happen. I dropped a deer down on its track two weeks before. After that I hardly saw any elk. So, I switched to archery for the last three years. Didn' t get to shoot anything during the first year, but the last two season have been successful. At any rate, I' ve heard good things on 1600 during modern/powder. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I would stick with the 1706 road, theres lots of elk in there especially when all the muzzleloaders get in there theyll be getting pushed around, Hunt the clear cuts at dawn, I was up there about 3 weeks ago and saw two separate herds and they were both in the clear cuts feeding early morning. Something will get ran by you if your in the woods long enough. My bro in law will be up there with a big bull permit. where you from by the way. Id say chances are hell of alot better getting a cow in the nile than a spike in bumping.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:32 PM

I was hoping that both of you would reply, I have read most of the stuff you have written about elk in this forum. Thank You so much.

I am unfortunatly from the west side.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:40 PM

Sorry, I am not use to this forum yet, as I was saying. I went up the 1709 road and ran into the 1706/1709 bifurcation. I didn' t however go down the 1706. Where are these clear cuts that everyone seems to know about? I was planning on camping at the end of 1791 and hiking up to the clearcuts above that. There seemed to be a nice spring up there but I didn' t see any fresh sign. The ridge above the 1791, where does that drop into on the back side? Would you recommend the green trails map for old scab mt as a good map or is there a better one? Do any of you think they will still be bugeling at this time?

Again thanks for your reply, I live in Mukilteo, just north of Seattle. Use to live in Spokane though. Where abouts do you all live? You are more than welcome to come up to the camp if you want. It will be at the end of the 1791.

Hope to see you there,
Dave
Old 09-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

If your coming from the 1709 road and come to the intersection of 1706/1709. You can go straight and run into a bunch of clear cuts or take a left at 1706 and follow that till you come to a 3 way intersection. if you go straight theres a big clear cut down there or if you go right theres a lot of clear cuts in there and thats where i saw a herd 3 weeks ago with a bunch of cows, a spike and a big bull. Im not sure where 1791 is. I would get the old scab mountain map. Its a excellent map of the area. They still be bugling, When i drew my big bull tag up there 3 years ago we went scouting on the day before the opener of muzzleloaders and there was bulls bugling everywhere. We saw about 9 diffenernt bulls. If you follow the 1706 to the 1600 road, thats all good hunting in there to. I live in Selah, about 5 miles north of yakima except i live out in the country, I can see elk from my house out in the sage brush, i live about 45 minutes from the nile unit.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:26 PM

Thanks man- I would imagine there are alot of elk in the area, just finding them is a pain sometimes. I think once we get a few hunters in there they will push them around a bit. Do you know of any good draws that the elk would use coming out of the clear cuts?

What about deer hunting up there? I have a deer tag for the same time I' m elk hunting. 3 pt min muley, that would be quite the week if I could nail both. Do you think the deer stay lower than the elk, like around town?

Sounds like you have quite a place just being able to see elk from your house would be a kick in the ass.

Thanks much
DQ