Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Nile

Old 08-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default West Nile

Anyone worried about West Nile during the earlier part of the season? Just saw a local program about it last night. It can be pretty nasty form what they said. One in 150 cases last for 18 months and can kill. The rest got treatment. There is no cure for it so you have to let it run its course. Kinda like Lyme disease in the early days. It seems like it started in NY/CT area and with in a few years has now spread to every state in lower 48 except Maine, Oregon and Washinton I guess. Scientist claim it will extend to Mexico, Central and South America in the near future.

After seeing the show I got scared knowing I've been running around in the woods with shorts and tee shirt getting eatin alive.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: West Nile

I haven't heard of any cases around here so far this year. You have to take measures to prevent your self from being eaten alive when in the woods. I use deep woods off just about every time i go outside here at home because i have lots of woods around me and a pond next door so i don't have to go anywhere but in the yard to get bites. The shannons bug tamer is about the best thing i've used to keep the biting bugs at bay when i'm hunting.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Yea i got bug bites all over me too, oh well can't go through life being scared about every bug bite u get, although it makes u think twice about going in the woods in shorts.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:27 PM

Luckily I live in Maine so I'm looking pretty good. I also hunt in NH and they've had a few confirmed cases but again the odds are really low. Thankfully I have a thermacell. It really dose a job on mosquitos
Old 08-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Spike

We have had a few dead crows here in Jamestown NY. They are confirmed West Nile Virus infected. They are urging people to use Bug sprays like Deep Woods Off with Deet, or similar products. I personally never wear shorts even in the summer. As for early bow season here. My gear all have long sleeves and heavy material. Good at keeping bugs out[8D]. I use a little spray to keep them off my face and neck. Hope we all make it through the season no worst for wear. Happy Hunting to all.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:00 PM

There are billions of mosquito bites each year and only a small fraction end up positive for WN. Take precautions and don't worry anymore about it.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:02 PM

I'm not too worried about it, you'll notice that most of the people being really affected by it are all young children and elderly folks. I still wear bug spray when I go out, but I'm not too worried.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I more important things to worry about.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:56 AM

Bug spray or better yet, a thermacell and you never have to worry.