Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

MT Region 7

Old 05-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default MT Region 7

How's it going guys, I recently drew a deer tag for region 7 in MT and I was wondering if anyone here has hunted that area and could offer any words of wisdom? From what I hear, it is not a very mountainous area. Also, being that i've never been hunting out west before I was wondering if bears are a problem in that region (SE corner of the state), not looking forward to getting mauled by a big ol bear . Thanks for the help and God Bless.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Spike

Default RE: MT Region 7

SE MT has plenty of public lands as well as private lands in the Block Management Program (administered by the MT Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks). The Custer National Forest headquartered in Ashland would be a good place to get a Forest Service map that would show all the NF lands. The Bureau of Land Management and the MT DFWP regional offices, both in Miles City would also be good sources of info. Obtaining maps from these agencies would be a good first step.

The area isn't really mountainous, but there is a lot of remote and rugged country. So come prepared. There are some black bears around, but they are hunted so they generally make themselves scarce.

This area of the state is well known as a good area for hunting deer, so expect lots of company. It helps to do some map work and leg work. There are some trophy bucks around this area, but they didn't get that way by being dumb.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

hunted antelope there last fall.

deer? haha, if you miss the one you're aiming at y ou're likely to hit 5 others......I've never seen so many deer in my life! Maybe we saw some of the same deer from day to day, but early/late I saw maybe......1,000 deer a day? on the drive to/from where we were hunting. Most were does, so id hope you do your management and take a couple of does if possible.....maybe extra leftover tags? did see some bucks, probably a 30:1 ratio, some whitetail, mostly muleys

I think its decent buck country, not trophy/monster buck country, so with that in mind if you saw a decent/nice 4x4 I'd take him.

Bears? it wasn't bear country, I really wouldn't worry about griz or even a black there. Probably rattlers if anything....though didnt see any of those either.

You may really want to be prepared to shoot 300-500yds, though in the more hilly deer country you may be able to come over a hilltop and be close....but that antelope country I wish I could have shot 2000yds.

Good Luck. What tags do you have? 1 buck? any does tags? If anyone's going with you, check into more doe tags...really they could use a lot of does to be taken.....
Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 AM

I shot my first deer out that way two seasons ago (muley). We were staying at a friend's ranch and I was really excited to get out, but nervous that I slept in a little late. I was in the bathroom putting in my contacts and when I got one in I looked out the bathroom window and saw 50+ muleys feeding 100 yards from the house. I ran to get my stuff and when I left the front door on the opposite side of the house there were 40+ muleys out that door! Just by walking around the house I must have seen 200 deer and all I had to do was pick out the one I wanted. Not much of a hunt, but a good experience with killing a big game animal, dressing it, etc. It was Halloween day and I went in around lunchtime starving. Had my first organ meat (liver) while watching Friday the 13th Part V or something and almost blew chunks. Too much, with the dressing, liver, and Jason hacking up people while I ate. It was a great day though and that muley tasted great until New Year's. Then I wished I had gotten another (or 8).
Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

I am a little confused by you saying you drew a tag for Region 7. Montana has general tags and then a special drawing for limited entry units Ie HD652, HD270 etc. You must mean you want to hunt in Region 7.

Well Region 7 is a HUGE piece of real estate and access in different all over the region. It varies from the South Shore of Fort Peck all the say to the Wyoming border.

Get the BLM and Forest Service maps. You will have to narrow down where you are going to hunt. Don't worry about bears as you will probably will never see one in Region 7.

Nemont
Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the advice guys, I drew one deer tag and i'm now applying for an antelope tag. Nemont, I'm going in a group with a couple of buddies who have been out to Montana several times and from what I understand, we'll be hunting in area 700. Does that sound about right?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

yeah, you do not need to draw for region 7 but one thing you may want to consider, is purchasing doe tags...lots of deer out there...depending upon the specific unit, you might be able to purchase a muley doe tag and a whitey tag....but once again, depends upon the area...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Might as well while you're out there.....try for an antelope tag....i drew mine year #1, my dad did not.

Not sure I'm going back though, I think they have nice antelope mid 70s is good/avg. Though if my wyoming hunt goes well that will be my goto area....if not I may return to MT.

If hunting with others....might suggest not doing the party for antelope that way probably one of you will def get a tag, vs all/none, and you already have deer tags....so. go for it.