Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Calling all southwest col. elk hunters. >

Calling all southwest col. elk hunters.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Calling all southwest col. elk hunters.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Calling all southwest col. elk hunters.

I'm planning another elk trip this fall to Colorado, Near Pagosa Springs. and I'm looking for some good late season bull techniques. I know that during that time of year the bulls are settling down and tend to hang out by themselves in the "dark, thick" timber. I've been hunting that same area for a few years with some success but I'd like to increase my odds for a decent bull this year.
I also know that most hunters don't like to give away there "hot" spots but if there is anyone out there that would be willing to give a bit of info on a good area I'd love to here it. I've mainly hunted the areas around Williams creek res. but that can get a little crowded. I'm considering walking in the area west of the wiminuche valley. We packed in there two years ago but I was wondering if anyone out there might have walked into this area and has seen anything promising. If no one's willing nor able to inform me on this area then maybe just some PROVEN tech's for the 2nd rifle season bulls. Appreciate any good intel.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Calling all southwest col. elk hunters.

Colsanders I'' try to send you a PM or send me one so I can respond.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling all southwest col. elk hunters.

OnlyPROVEN techniques it to beTHERE and be QUIET with your rifle loaded. Hunting is ONLY 50% skill and 50% luck, that's pretty much it. Sounds like you did the scouting and had success in the area. Its a good area as I have hunted near it my self when I worked a few yrs in Bayfield, as have other friends who were mostly successful( I was not).