Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling - All elk hunters

Old 08-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Calling - All elk hunters

Well elk season is right around the corner, so keeping that in mind I am sure we all have been singing to our neighbours various elk calls in practice. Had a little call off last evening with some buddies, which is always fun and good practice but it always lead to a big debate on what the best calls are to use. Personally I use a locator bugle and go straight into cow calling once in position. If that fails to pull him I start to mimic what he is saying to me...for the most part I have been pretty successful but must admit I have lost a few. One problem area I personally have is the chuck now for some darned reason I seem to be to high almost sounding like a laugh vs a grunt or throaty sound.

So my first question is how do you guys get your chuck out either by way of bugle or diaphram call? (I know easy over a set of keys but any tips to try).

I also like to hear your thoughts on calling elk - cow talk, bugling, etc. What are some of your secrets and techniques that have made you a successful elk hunter with regards to calling.

Mine is throwing a variety of cow/calf talk to sound like a herd vs. blowing the same tune.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Calling - All elk hunters

I like to let the elk tell me how to call. If he is coming in and is screaming at me I scream right back at him. If he is liking this then he is pretty pissed off and will be there in short order.

If he is kind of shy I use cow talk or maybe a young sounding bugle or both to make him think I am stealing a cow or two from him.

I throw out some cow talk when I am walking through the woods also. If there are any in the area #1 they won't be nearly as spooky and #2 they just may talk back.

As far as my grunt goes I press hard against the reed and quickly remove it completely from my mouth while saying oooh in a deep voice. It gives me the initial quick high pitched straight down to the low grunt sound. And of course repeat quickly.

I use a terminator bugle.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:43 PM

I don't even carry a bugle anymore, just cow and calf talk.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 PM

Hunting on public land in rifle season, I just carry a couple cow calls, one in particular that I can use WITHOUT my hands just to stop them long enough to acquire and squeeze a shot. Don't use a bugle at all, but......

If I was hunting archery or blackpowder, then that would be a completely different story.

EKM
Old 08-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I've mentioned this before and it bears repeating! To be effective on 90% of your elk encounters you must understand what elk are saying! You must understand what you're saying when starting out in the morning or responding back. It makes it much easier to hunt them and not turn them into runners.

For example--(not picking on anyone) Skeeter, you say you "locate" bulls first then move in and finish them off with cow calls.---First, what did the bull that responded say? Was he welcoming you? Was he challenging or intimidating you to stay away? Was he talking to his harem because of you, in other words trying to gather them up for possible escape because of not wanting a confrontation? You see once you understand what he said, it's much easier to form a strategy. Sure, by moving in and cow calling may work one out 4-5 bulls you come across, but what about the others you blew, it didn't have to be that way.

You also mentioned that after moving in on a bull and cow call and if he's "hanging up", you mimmic the bull as he's bugling you, most likely with short screams. This bull isn't challenging the cow, he's trying to call her to him, so for you to respond back with the exact sound he's using, it doesn't make sense to him. --- But, if when cow calling (pre-estrus whines) and he's not coming in, let him know why or else he'll get nervous and be gone. This is the time to throw in some huffs to huffing grunts, this is what a real bull would do if he were to intercept this cow on her way to the real bull. This method is non challenging, the huffs are directed to the cow not the real bull, he knows that. But yet the real bull won't stand for it. Along with the huffs you might increase the the level of cow calling to distress sounds, it shows resistance on the cows part to the fake bull who's huffing in desperation to leave with her. If it's a herd bull you're dealing with you must be in close for this to be effective, (inside a 100yds) he won't want to stray too far from his cows just to pick up one more, so make it convienent for him.

As far as making chuckles & grunts, it takes practice. Chuckles are generally used within the herd to communicate with his cows, they can also be used to call cows to him, whether trying to call in a lone cow or if they've been spooked and they all scattered in different directions. The bull would stop, and start chuckling to regather his cows.
Grunts are for intimidation or warning. ---Chuckles are low keyed, squealy and rapid---Grunts are throaty, deep and hard hitting, almost "base" like sounding. At any rate, pull the air from your stomach or diaphragm as you blow into your tube.--elknut1
Old 08-14-2004, 11:49 AM

This is from another post, but I figured I wrote the novel, so I'd pass it along some of our Elk tactics. These are some calling/chasing tactics we have picked up over the years:

1) Don't over Bugle and learn to listen the Elk. You can tell when a Bull just wants you to answer him so he knows what direction to push his Cows.. AWAY FROM YOU! Learn to chase those. Become a "lost cow" trying to catch up to the herd or join him. You might be surprised when he holds a bit or comes back to get you for his herd. (This really works earlier in the year when they are herding cows)

2) Getting that I'll just hold up at 100 yards and you come to me bull! Won't go into my details here. ELKNUTS tactice above for those that hold up is AWESOME. We use a variation of this, but it's basically the same thing. A cow trying to leave the herd for the real elk's bugle. One thing I would note is if you are hunting alone, you might be able to sneak into the bull using cow calls to mask your movement, acting like the cow coming to the bull. Be careful... he will be looking for that cow coming and zeroing in on the sound, making you more at risk to be seen.

3) Change up your bugle and sounds. Play with em! I don't think you can produce that bad of a bugle to scare them off. Unless you start squeeling like a dead rabbit!

4) WATCH and just don't stare at one bull... anyone who has chased Elk alot knows of the infamous "Satellite Bull". Some bugle leery bulls without cows will come in silent trying to steal a cow or two. This is very common with rag bulls or even spikes. Big, roaming bulls will do it too.

5) Become a herd of Elk. Walking around won't spook Elk (before you've actually spotted them or close, etc.), especially if you and your hunting partners mix in calling and talking like a bunch of Elk. We really like the Calf/Cow combo of sounding like a herd of Cows and Calves. They seem to like company and will bunch up in bigger herds. Bulls know this.. they will come. More COWS equals...

6) Wind.. always remember the darn wind! I'm all for "Scent-Lok" this and "Scent-Blocker" this, but I personally feel unless you are a millionare and buy EVERYTHING scent free and everyone that hunts with you does too, they only "help", barely. I absolutely hate these ads that say "Forget the Wind... just Hunt". Well, hunting is all you do.. shooting and killing you won't! I take the Real Estate approach... the 3 more important things bowhunting.. Wind.. Wind.. Wind.

Anyway, hope this all helps and good luck hunting!!
Old 08-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the responses.

Elknut I am not a pro by any means and welcome the input. Excatly why I am trying to get my chuck better, been leary to throw it well cuz I think it sucks! I did some practicing in the past day and realized I wasn't really huffy the note almost popping it persay so i got a higher pitch with out the UH on the end...getting better.

I should have explained where and how I hunt, for the locator bugle. It is a large densh bushed valley that is surrounded by agriculture at the tops. The fields gets heavy hunting pressure, so instead of rat racing I get into the valley and try to intercept elk moving to the bottom for bed and water. If I don't hear them, I will throw out a locator bugle in hopes of trying to get myself in their path or general downward movements. Of course the area is over bugled by hunters on the tops so I generally stick to the cow calls. Exception is peak calling or when I think a bull is responding to me. I guess this is were I need some brush up in interpreting exactly what he is saying and then giving him something to coax him..like the chuck,etc. For the most part we run solo due to the large scale of the area we hunt.

Thanks again. Less than a month till hopefully I hear them elk talking
Old 08-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter---Have you ever considered using a mouth diaphragm, such as a single or double reed type? It's easier to make such sounds as chuckles & grunts with these types instead of built in external bugles. The palate plate designs are great for this and prevent gagging or tickling.--- I sent you a message--please let me know if you recieved it--elknut1
Old 08-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

elknut, got your email thank you very much.

I just replaced a couple, picked up the ivory and imperial palates by primo's. Must admit haven't put much effort into them yet, but will...thanks
Old 08-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't like to bugle or even use a locator call, because in sept. the're so vocal and when I locate them, then I start my stalk and imulate a seris of a lost calvs and cow calls. I know how to use these with good results as with a bugle I really don't use it that much. Mouth reeds gag me[] so I don't use them. The bugle call I do have has the dual reed and single that can be removed and you can slide your cow/calf call into it to change the tone/pitch. But I do take it with me.
Some great advice Nut and Bowelkfreak. good luck this season guys, Bobby

Quick Reply: Calling - All elk hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.