Wyoming region R deer hunting >

Wyoming region R deer hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wyoming region R deer hunting

Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wyoming region R deer hunting

Any non residents onhereplan onhunting the R regionarea around the Big Hornsfor the Oct15th deeropener? If so and hunting public property where are you alllodging or do you know of any place not to far from the base area aroundmountain?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Default RE: Wyoming region R deer hunting

Just stay at one of the campgrounds on the mountain. It'll be a lot cheaper. Better yet- just find a good spot to put up camp on one of the dirt roads at least 1/2 mile from the highway. It won't cost you a dime.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info. Do the game and fish or local law have an issue with just pulling off the road and setting up camp? I thoughtI read that most of the camp grounds areclosed by Oct, does this mean you can still use them but without hook ups? I guessI got tocall a few to find out. Like I said in my previous posts we may drive the F250 4X4 with the slide in camper on it. It would workout great if we did this because we could stay mobile. The thing is loaded with features like heat, kitchen, shower, generator and also a freezer. The only thing is the desiel fuel cost which I figured out to be around $600 - 650 for the trip each way. The draw back to that is 2 days driving each way that your losing for hunting time. But taking a plane $400+, renting a car 200+, paying$100 for extra wait on theplane$100, lodging$300 - 400 for 5-6 days and the agravation of haulingyour gear and a huge coolerall around the airport may make driving more of an option.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM

They don't have any problem with it. In fact, that's what most hunters do. Here's some info straight from the Forest Circus website:

Dispersed Camping(other than in a developed campground) is allowed at no fee and without a permit in most areas of the Forest. You are allowed to drive within 100 yards of an open road to set up camp provided it will not result in damage to the land, and the area is not signed otherwise. Dispersed horse camping is allowed throughout the Forest. If camping is not allowed, signing will be posted.
The following are some dispersed camping tips:
[ul][*]Please camp at least 100 feet from lakes and streams.[*]Please bury human waste at least 6" deep and 200' from water.[*]Leaving any type of cache on National Forest is prohibited.[/ul] Please pay special attention to the following regulations. They allow everyone an equal chance to enjoy the National Forest: From June 1 to September 10 certain restrictions apply:
[ul][*]Camping is prohibited within 1/4 mile on both sides of designated portions of Forest Road (FR) 26 (Big Goose), FR 125 (Little Horn), FR 16 (Black Mountain) and FR 137 (Porcupine Creek). Watch for signing.[*]Camping is prohibited within 1/2 mile on each side of Highway 14 and 14A.[*]Length of stay is limited to 14 days at any given campsite or immediate vicinity, which includes the leaving of any type of equipment, tents or trailers, from June 1 to September 10. After 14 days, you must move a minimum of 5 air miles. You may not return to the original site for 14 days.[*]Storage of camping equipment for longer than 14 days is allowed only at designated storage areas.[/ul]The campgrounds do close in the fall, but most of the time you can still set up camp there if you want. The water pumps and outhouses will be locked, though, so bring plenty of water. None of the campgrounds in the Bighorns have electricity hook-ups. You'll be glad your camper has a generator- especially if the heater runs off a thermostat. It would be helpful if you could leave the camper at the campground when you take the truck to wherever you plan to hunt, though. Some of those mountain roads can be a little rough and you never know when you're going to need to drive under low hanging tree branches. Just a thought.

If you do decide to fly out, there are several lodges on the mountain that you might look at. The most popular three are located around Burgess Junction (just outside your hunting area), and there is a lodge on Meadowlark Lake between Buffalo and Tensleep on highway 16. There are also hotels down off the mountain in Tensleep, Worland, Greybull, and Lovell.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Typical Buck

Wyotimberghost, thanks for the goodinfo. Your right about leaving the camper on stands that way if the roads get tight like you said it won't hinder our trail worthiness. The only thingisI would be afraid of someone messing with ourgear in the camper (hey I'm from the East so I assume it).By the way, what part of Wy are you from?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 AM

don't worry about someone messing with your camp. i look at it this way, you are a hunter, hunters have guns and know how to use them! if you want a little extra comfort, get a big chain and put it around a tree then put a pet dish for water and food by it. trouble makers will see this and wonder if the mean ole dog is in the camper. just a couple thoughts
Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I like that idea! I could also put one of those huge cowbones next to the oversize chain just for better effect. LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Wyotimberghost, thanks for the goodinfo. Your right about leaving the camper on stands that way if the roads get tight like you said it won't hinder our trail worthiness. The only thingisI would be afraid of someone messing with ourgear in the camper (hey I'm from the East so I assume it).By the way, what part of Wy are you from?
I live in different parts of WY during different times of the year. When school isn't in session, I live very close to the Bighorns. I spend a quite a bit of time up in the mountains riding quads and fishing.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I lived close to the Bighorns for three seasons. Put a pickup camper up there for a couple of weeks every september. There are some cabins up above Tensleep, if you are on that side. I think Deer Haven is the place. Beautiful country up there!