Deer season was horrible!

Old 11-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer season was horrible!

7 days hunted
2 2 point buck, 1 spike
about 30 does
1 dead mature 2 pt buck
3 coyotes, possible one of these was a wolf, according to just recently reading the news paper with the possibilty of wolves coming from Idaho.
1 350 + pt 6x6 bull elk
1 300 or so pt 6x6 bull elk
2 raghorn bulls
about 15- 20 cow elk

I hunted during the third weekend of October and saw about 15 does and a 2 pt buck. The first weekend of Nov. I saw about 15 more does and 1 spike and a 2 pt. This weekend the snow started flying and the weather turned bad, so we went to the area where we had seen most of the deer and hunted there, we couldn't even find a track anywhere, even 4 hours after it snowed about 4 inches. All we found was a whole bunch of coyote tracks, and a dead mature buck. We also saw all of the elk on the way in yesterday morning. I was hunting with my dad in area 8 here in NV. We think that the coyote population is starting to take a tole on the deer population.

Old 11-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer season was horrible!

What are the regulations on coyote hunting? If their numbers are skyrocketing, then it might be time for folks that hunt the area to take the incentive to keep the numbers in check.

It doesn't sound like it was a horrible trip though, you did see animals, and saw part of nature first hand.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 11-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with ABM, I would be out there popping off the yotes, we did when I was back home. Sorry to hear you didn't get anything, but form the sounds of it, you saw alot of animals.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are no regulations here in NV for coyote. We did take shots at two of them, but they were both about 400 yds away, so I missed both times, they weren't that big either, which makes it even harder to hit, thats the reason I keep my shots at deer under 300 yds. I am glad that we saw some elk, but we are just bummed out because of the coyote sign. I even found a dead mature mule deer buck's head laying in the snow. That is just not a good sign, it was even a summer kill, due to the hair color. There are not a lot of mountain lions in the area either, so it must mean a lot of coyotes. I am wating for the Div of Wildlife to have its meetings and will attend. I will also go to the office with the deer head and ask a biologist for possible explanations.

P.S. My dad and I are planning a trip up there later with the .223 for some coyotes.

Edited by - charlie brown on 11/11/2002 10:47:15