Washington State Elk Hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Washington State Elk Hunting

Old 06-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Washington State Elk Hunting

Hi Guys,

Well I'm going to Idaho this year to increase my chances of actually harvesting an elk.Been skunked hunting the Manashtash GMU 4yrs running. I'm a relatively new hunter and my elk hunting buddies only go there, despite all the other hunters around. I just can't believe the year over year lack of elk spotted/harvested in this area and my buddies still are going there again. I even had a cow elk tag two years ago and of course didn't see any elk during the whole season ... what luck.

Since I hate being skunked in my home state, where do you guys go to hunt Wa elk? I'm not a trophy hunter (yet), I like being outdoors and actually getting to harvest an elk once in a while too!

thanks much guys!
phil

PS- I've just purchased a ML so that's an option too - I'm using it over in Republic during deer season ... the amount of modern firearms hunters have steadily grown over in the far eastside hence the switch to ML.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Washington State Elk Hunting

I hunt and live in Yakima, shot a 7x8 in 2000 then didnt kill anything for a few years, now that I have my AHE i have killed cows the last two years with it and hopin to shoot two cows this year with it, or hopefully a big bull and cow.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm right there with you. Hunt up in the Colockum and took me 8 years of hunting elk every day, all day during the season to get my first one. 10 years of elk hunting and only 2 spikes puts me ahead of average (how sad it that?). Success rate for spikes is around 8% maybe less for this state. So, I, too am headed for Idaho this fall to hunt elk where you have a chance of shooting any bull. I really am sick of hunting here, even though I will continue just to stay hunting with the family, it really is depressing.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

kirkl
I started the AHE program, but didn't have time to complete the test - will need to reapply soon. Did you draw a special tag to shoot your 7x8 bull?

Power
Good job on harvesting two spikes! One of these days I'll get a Wa state spike too ...

cheers,
phil

Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

For me, it's not that bad. I started with modern rifle and missed a spike the first year. Second year, I saw no spike. Then I switched to archery. Got drawn for any elk the first year. Saw a 6x6 and didn't get a chance (inexperience). Got a spike the second year, a 5x5 the third year, a cow on the fourth year, didn't get one the fifth year but seen lots of animals, and I am ready for this year. I'm thinking about going to Idaho/Montana, but I'm not at that level yet. Anyrate, good luck to you.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Phil. If you just want to get an elk to get you started I'd recommend putting in for some cow tags. Just find the one with good odds or lots of tags, hopefully in an area you know or can scout, and chances are you can get drawn in a year or two. Of course, some of those cow hunts can be harder than hunting the general season so it's no gimme. You'll still have to hunt hard to get a cow unless you have some private land or a friend with a secret spot.

Good luck and let us know how you do. Happy to answer any other questions if I can.