Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 turkey hunting in Washington state >

turkey hunting in Washington state

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

turkey hunting in Washington state

Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM

Default turkey hunting in Washington state

Does anyone know of a good place to turkey hunt in Washington state. My wife wants to try turkey hunting this year, and I have never done it myself, so I am clueless
Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Default RE: turkey hunting in Washington state

It depends on which sub-species you want to go for. If you are looking at your best bet at bagging a bird, with out a doubt you need to head to Eastern WA - Kettle falls down to Spokane - all Merriams but a lot of em'

Along the Tucannon river outside Dayton there are large amounts of Rio's

Easterns are the tough nut to crack in WA... You'll hear a lot about Johnson Creek and other areas but the birds are few and the hunters are many.

For the most up to date turkey hunting information in Washington check out

*********WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG***************
Tacoma NWTF
*********END SHAMELESS PLUG********************
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Good luck this year!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info. my buddy and I will go over and check it out in Feb.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

If you are heading to NE Wa, all you are going to see in Feb is the lay of a limited amount of land and a TON of birds on private farms in the valley. There are 1,000's and 1,000's of acres of public land to hunt up in the hills, but 1,000's of hunters chasing birds during the season. If you are trying to secure some private land, that is a good time to go. But if you are going to scout birds, don't waste your time. The birds move back up into the hills out of the valley about the time season opens. Not trying to disuade you from going to look around. Just be mindful that you probably aren't getting a good representation of NE Wa until Spring roles around and the snow receedes. Seeing all of those birds will definitely get your juices flowing though. Plus, it's a good excuse to get out and play outdoors.

If you decide to chase 'em over here on the wet side, prepare for lots of days without hearing a bird. I've hunted it for 4 years now, and I've heard 2 gobbles. Not 2 gobblers, 2 gobbles. And that is hunting around Johnson Creek. They don't say much, and you couldn't hear them very far if they did due to the brush. Also keep in mind that they get a ton of pressure in the popular spots, so call sparingly. Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Shannon
Old 01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey KenL ...Thank's for starting this post...Was woundering what it'd take to get Slee out of the lurking mode..
Old 01-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

Wayne, you know turkeys are my weak spot. I am in bad need of hearing one gobble. The more calls Bldhound and I make and test, the stronger the urge hits me. We'll have to make you a member of our Pro Staff to do some field testing. Heck, like we have a Pro Staff yet.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Field Testing...!!!!...Hell....I thought that's what I did all last season.....with "Awesome" result's..
Old 01-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

We aim to please, and hopefully our sights are on. I may come over for a visit in mid-March to talk to a vendor or two over that way. I'll keep you posted. If so, I'll bring another call for you to play with. I've got a new favorite I could duplicate for you.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

So when ya gonna find out about work over here in the clinic..??
Old 01-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

I'll know something by May, but they didn't seem like it would be a problem to find a clinic for me to do a rotation in. I convinced them that it had to be during next April or May, but I didn't tell them my reason.

Quick Reply: turkey hunting in Washington state

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.