Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose hunting help!

Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Goose hunting help!

I have never goose hunted fields before always on water. This year I am making a big change. I will be hunting fields. I am on a limited budget what type of decoys should one start with...... shells, silhouettes, full body. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:17 PM

Default RE: Goose hunting help!

For the shell I use 3'' to 3 1/2 , BB and T and that should bring them down. And for decoys I use "Big Foot" it is a good type of decoy to use
Old 08-19-2004, 01:14 AM

I prefer shells......easy to transport, with more of a 3-d image....the new GHG are fantastic!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would use shells but silhouettes seem to give a better presentation but the geese seem to see through it at longer ranges. with silhouettes the closest i could get them in was about 40 yards but with shells ive had them in as close as 15 yards but ofcoures thats with a good blind and very little movement . Asfar as shells standard steel loads just arent good enough but if you have to use steel to stay in budget I highly recommend Fiocchi speed steel in 3 inch or 3.5 inch in shot sizes BB, BBB, and T the speed steel loads in a 3.5 inch have a velocity of 1520 fps with a 1 3/8 oz payload, the 3 inch is 1475 fps with a 1 1/8 oz payload. But when I don't have to stay in budget and I can splurge a bit I will buy a couple cases of 3 inch hevi shot loads in shot sizes #2 and #4.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would scout the geese the night before and when the geese would head for the water I would then go in the field and dig pits deep enough to stand in. Before first light I would go back and set my decoys and wait for the big bird to come in. I have always had fun and was very successful. Now days they have the decoys that you could sit in or the blinds that you lay flat in. I have never used them but you could always give them a try. Good luck..
Old 08-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started out with a half dozen shell decoys and hid under a "brushed" in piece of burlab and killed birds, now the spread consists of shells, bigfoots, and silouhettes.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 PM

Full body dekes are out if you are on a budget. Awesome decoy but expensive and cumbersome. I personally like shells. Some silhouettes mixed in for movement is great. Just like with dekes on the water, they like to see a decoy move a little.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer full bodies, but as always if on a budget go with the GHG shells!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

The ultimate are the large magnum shells , but they are expensive.If you are on a budget make silouhettes from plywood and get a few shells to mix in with them.