Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 switching from one eye shooting to two...NEED ADVICE!! >

switching from one eye shooting to two...NEED ADVICE!!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

switching from one eye shooting to two...NEED ADVICE!!

Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Default switching from one eye shooting to two...NEED ADVICE!!

well...i wasnt sure where to post this threat so i put it here for you waterfowlers. so anyways....

how many of you guys shoot with both eyes?

i have always shot with one eye (my right eye) and i am right-eye dominant and right handed. i'm a pretty good shot on birds and clays, but want to get better. i've tried shooting with both eyes on trap and skeet and sometimes i hit, but i also miss. my confidence is pretty bad and i dont really know exactly what im doing right or wrong, jsut that i can hit em sometimes. could you guys give me some pointers because i want to switch to only shooting with both eyes because i know its more accurate. websites or any tips would be great. i appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:39 AM

Default RE: switching from one eye shooting to two...NEED ADVICE!!

when you go to shoot trap or anything like and you wear shooting glasses put tape on you left side since you are right eye and that is what helped me and don`t forget keep your left eye open
Old 01-27-2004, 05:57 PM

Put a light/flashlight on the barrel, and practice swinging the gun in a given plain on your wall, or mirror. Keep both eyes open.

It works for me.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:09 AM

I switched along time ago and it was tough in the beginning. I too would break some targets and yet miss others and not know why. One thing that helped me was to prefocus my eyes on the area I was going to break the target. Both eyes need to be focused for the distance that the target will be broke at. Look out where you plan on breaking the target (or bird) and your periphial vision will do the rest. Remember the gun must fit you and your are not looking at the bead(s) on your barrel. Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:20 AM

thanks for the tips..keep them coming. i got a few questions still:

-so now i won't be focusing on my bead at all, just merely looking down the barrel following the target?

-i mean...is this basically instinctive shooting or a little of both aiming and judging when to pull the trigger?

thanks a lot.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:39 PM

You are not focusing on the bead in general, you are just using a clean plane of motion to the edge of your target. Make sure to keep your head down against the gun. It is an easily achieved bad habbit to raise your head up while shooting with two eyes.

Practice, practice, and experiment until you reach perfection.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:51 AM

Try this for sight picture:
Stand in front of a mirror, close one eye and stare into the mirror's eye. Now move your index finger which is pointing towards the mirror from side to side. Keep staring at your eye. This is the sight picture.
Now stare at the tip of your nose. Your nose is now the target, bring your finger (which is the gun's bead) to your nose.
This is the sight picture for breaking targets or birds. Try it with both eyes and you should see a bigger picture.