Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 calling in thick woods--does it work for unseen ducks? >

calling in thick woods--does it work for unseen ducks?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

calling in thick woods--does it work for unseen ducks?

Old 01-09-2004, 07:13 PM

Default calling in thick woods--does it work for unseen ducks?

i'm pretty new to duck hunting and have been trying to hunt a few impoundments lately. the area is pretty big (1000 acres) and all flooded timber. i have a few questions:

1-i got a dozen dekes that i set up, but its pretty thick in there so is calling a lot to try and bring in birds that i can't even see going to help or not?

2-also, i use a mallard call....will wood ducks respond or check out my spot if they think that mallards are there?

3-and finally...is hunting the edges going to be as good as hunting deep in these woods? the reason i ask is because i only have hip waders and i'm only able to wade out so far into this stuff until it gets too deep.

thanks a lot i appreciate any advice. by the way...these are the waterfowl impoundments outside of chapel hill, which are part of jordan lake game land incase there are any fellow north carolinians responding who know of good spots here.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:12 AM

Default RE: calling in thick woods--does it work for unseen ducks?

1. Put your decoys in the holes where birds can see them. Its hard to call a bird when you cant see what its doing so just keep a sharp eye out. i dont think you will have much luck calling when you cant see it. But if the birds see your decoys well enough they may come in for a closer look anyways.

2. Wood ducks will come to a mallard call most of the time, but it never hurts to get a woodie whistle and try it. But i would say for just starting hunting like you said a mallard call would be fine.

3. sure, being out farther from roads/civilization is going to make for better hunting usually but you dont always have to go far to kill some ducks. Just hunt what you can now and once you get into duck hunting a little more and get your chest waders or boat and gear you can go explore all you want.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:00 PM

Default RE: calling in thick woods--does it work for unseen ducks?

i appreciate it mossyoak!!! thanks a lot man.