Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Tree Stand Coyote Thick PA. Woods

Old 11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree Stand Coyote Thick PA. Woods

this friday me and my buddy are going to set up a tree stand and go out at night and try our luck.. our woods in PA are real thick.. and its hard to see a coyote coming from over even 50 yards.. so we found this nice field.. where the wind blows from top to bottom.. we will be sitting at the bottom of the field in the stand looking up into the field.. The call will be down on the ground as we both sit up with our red light and wait for a shot...
does this sound like an okay setup..? Any advice would be great guys...

I've been out numerous times.. I would say since mid summer i been out 40 times.. and hit around 80 setups.. and i have only had 2 coyotes come in.. and i go out as scent free as possible.. isetup so the wind is in my face.. and i alwayys be sure to check downwind every once in a while..full camo all the time..i also go out at night.. i barely ever go during the day.. i know its harder to get coyotes in Pa b/c their are less than out west.. but should they be as sparse as they are in my experience.. or am i doing something wrong...?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Stand Coyote Thick PA. Woods

help would be greatly appreciated.. just gettin a bump guys.. sorry..
i know you guys will help.. thanks in advance..
Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTT^
Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 PM

your probably not doing anything wrong. If you are hunting during the day, don't expect them to come into the field. The will stay in the woods and go to the edges to look into the field. watch the edges well. The tree stand is a great idea.

tell us how your calling, what sounds and stuff so we can better help you.

Don't call that same stand over and over, give it a week or two before calling it again.

More info will be nice so we can "picture" your set-up and help.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok.. as i said im hunting at night.. i have the wind in my face.. be in a 12 foot tree stand.. the field is fairly small.. say 100 yards wide and maybe 75 yards long.. i'll be sitting looking up into the field towards that 75 yards of open country.. above that is woods that are thick.. i havent called this stand in a while and just walking up the road beside this field i counted SIX piles of coyote crap.. so they are around.. i am gonna go out around 6:30.. just after dark.. and stay for around 45 minutes.. i plan on running a tape that has a coyote killing a rabbit.. i've tried on and off calling.. and this time i plan on leaving it on straight for around 25 minutes..(i've tried this before leaving it on continuously and had a big yote come in after bout 15 mins..)
lemme know what you guys think...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:43 PM

ok, so there is crap----good. now, play the distress constantly, if you don't, you could be calling in a hung up coyote and by stopping the sound you could lose the interest of the coyote. Can you hear the coyote on this sound you are playing? or is it just waaaa-waaaa-waaaaaa. If you can hear the coyote, you could be giving the impression of a dominant coyote and causing the others to hang back. SO, when you stop calling, wait 10 minutes before getting down. I have had coyotes come in while I was packing up and getting ready to move on. They seem to hang back until the "dust has settled" sometimes.

Is this one of the spots were you got a vocal response at night? if not it could be just an area that they are moving through or hunting maybe in the wee hours of the morning or something. I have a spot like that, they hit my bait everytime and it is track on top of tracks, but no matter what time of day I call them, nothing. they move through at night. when I can't get them!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

okay well first off i am hunting at night.. so maybe thats when they go through here.. and secondly NO, this is not one of the spots that i have heard the howling.. those are 2 totally different spots.. if i can this weekend i will try to get a picture of the stand we are in.. and the view it beholds..
now as far as the call i am using.. it basically has the sounds of a dieing rabbit and every few seconds the coyote on the tape will bark and yip or whatever you wanna call it.. this will happen during the rabbits distress sounds.. so it is basically barking on top of the distress... is this okay to use..?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:57 PM

sounds fine, you are probably cold calling, you have not heard them at night in that spot, maybe they are just passing through. Coyotes crap on rocks and at path intersections. are you sure its coyotes crap?

Dude, its harder in the east than other places. just keep looking for new calling area if the ones you have dont produce..
Old 11-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, positive its coyote crap.. all 6 piles were in the middle of the road and were on rocks.. they also had bones and hair in them.. easy to identify...
Also, what do you mean by cold calling?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like a good setup but i would go out a little earlier

Quick Reply: Tree Stand Coyote Thick PA. Woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.