Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoy movement...

Old 12-16-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Decoy movement...

Looking for a way to get more movement in my decoys. Ive seen all the newfangled electronic junk but im going to go cheap here. How do i rig up a bobber or whatever you call it, the decoy with the big weight and a jerk string. Do you just tie the weight to one end of the decoy and the string to the other, or is it more complicated than that, thanks. By the way, this year is my first year duck hunting without a good friend who brought me to the sport. He took me a few times in the past couple years and i just gotta do it more. anyways, is this as simple as it sounds?
Old 12-16-2003, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Decoy movement...

Here's an even better answer to decoy motion,
[link]http://www.wingmagic.com/[/link]
It's my next plan of attack[8D]
Old 12-16-2003, 11:53 PM

Hello mossy yes it is that easy to rig i have been using a coffe can with cement in it with an eye bolt stuck in the center depending on how long of cord you nee you might opt for two anchors one half way to the blind just to keep your pull strait. another trick is to put one decoy on a line with two anchors twenty feet apart and then the cord is ran to the blind attch it to a swivel tie the two ends together and you can swim the decay back and forth between the anchors out in the middle of the spread works pretty good. Hope you get some bands this year .
Old 12-17-2003, 05:01 PM

looks neat plainsman. does it matter which end of the decoy you tie the weight to, and which end u tie the jerk string to?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:31 PM

Near as I can tell the jerk cord must run straight to the front of the decoy, however, depending where you put the weight, you should be able to operate the decoy from almost any angle as long as the line runs straight from the weight to the front of the decoy.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:49 AM

Last months Field and Stream had a small article on the jerk cords. Check it out, it may help you.

OhioDuckHunter
Old 12-20-2003, 12:54 PM

thanks guys, i tried it out this morning, looked pretty good. everything kept re-freezing so it wasnt doin much good. But at least i know how to do it now. thanks.