Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 STANDARD OR MAGIUM GOOSE DECOY' S >

STANDARD OR MAGIUM GOOSE DECOY' S

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

STANDARD OR MAGIUM GOOSE DECOY' S

Old 11-20-2003, 10:03 PM

Default STANDARD OR MAGIUM GOOSE DECOY' S

WHEN I WAS HUNTING GEESE LAST YEAR,THE GEESE WOULD FLAIR OFF EVERYTIME I WAS HUNTING.I COULDN' T FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG SO I SWITCHED DECOY' S.I STARTED HUNTING JUST WITH MY STANDARD BIG FEET AND SHELLS AND THE GEESE JUST POURED IN.CAN THE SIZE OF DECOY' S MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHEN HUNTING GEESE.I WAS USING ALL DIFFRENT SIZES OF GOOSE DECOY' S BEFORE AND IT WORKED UNTIL LAST YEAR,ARE THE GEESE GETTING SMARTER.LIKE TO HAVE YOUR GUY' S IMPUT SOON,GOOSE SEASON STARTS SATURDAY HERE IN COLORADO.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 PM

Default RE: STANDARD OR MAGIUM GOOSE DECOY' S

I don' t think it should scare the geese, but sometimes you need to use the most realistic decoys to get better results. Maybe the big feet and your shells looked more realistic in appearance than the whole spread. I wouldn' t chalk it up to magnums and standards mixed, ducks and geese can' t tell size well at all from the air because they see everything with one eye as they turn their heads, which doesn' t afford them good depth perception.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Jollie said it well.

Hey Jollie, if you see Timber Ghost Kevin Carlisle say " Hi" from Original Konifer T.R.

T.R.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:51 AM

I disagree. I once had mags mixed with regular geese and I had two flocks of geese flare off. I put the magnums at the "far end" of my set-up.
Then as the geese would approach into the wind, they could see the mags. but never got too close to them because I had put them up wind and the regular geese and ducks at the down wind side. I had good hunting after that.
Geese can compare size. It does spook 'em more times than not. Since that day I separate my different sizes and even different brands and models of decoys. I always set goose decoys out in little family groups to make up the entire flock, just like real geese.

Good luck and good shooting.

critch