Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Decoy Set ups?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Goose Decoy Set ups?

This is going to be my second year of goose hunting. and i was wondering what you guys use for a decoy set up. Do you guys use the "L" pattern or the small groups or what? What have you guys had the best luck with?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Goose Decoy Set ups?

I hunt gaint Canadains
Early season I use 4 or 5 small groups of 4 - 6 decoys 20' to 30' apart and place my blinds on the down wind side of the groups .

Later I will use a V , 2 to 3 decoys deep,4'-6' apart ,3 to 10 doz decoys total with the point up wind and the blinds just down wind to 50+ yds down wind depending on where the geese want to land .
If there is no or changing direction winds I use a X with 2 staggered rows for each leg of the X .

That way we can pick up the layout blinds and move them to theproper side of the X , depending on where the geese want to land

More decoys is not always better .
If you are getting small family groups , then I may run 8 -12 decoys ,but other times you can't have enough decoys

Johnch
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 AM

All my waterfowling I use family groups,, even if im running a hundred plus dekes on water,, its family groups forming one big oval blob.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:04 PM

I ususally hunt with no decoys to my back. The birds must land where you have a nice shot. Face them intothe wind and make sure you got little "holes" in your rig for them to land
Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Spike

I like family groups and different patterns depending on time of the year, later in the year, less decoys. I never face all the decoys into the wind. I've never observed geese in a field facing into the wind unless they're about to take off.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 AM

Birds that are in the field will generally face into the wind. That is the way we have been doing it on the shore fora while. That is the way everyone I know sets them up, you do facea few in the other dirrection but for the most part its into the wind. The land into the wind so why would they not feed into the wind?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

We use the X or Family group set up for the most part, also we tend to mix up direction that the dekes face.....wind or no wind the are rarely all facing the same way...
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Safety being of my first concern, I leavethe landing zone in front or behindthe pit. That will help eliminate people from shooting over each others heads.Here in Colorado we use big spreads from, 12 dozen to 50 dozen full bodys. I've always thought people try to over think the decoy spread. If it looks realistic and the landing zones are set for safe shootingfrom the group, the rest is up to your callers. I know that some people think calling geese is not that important, but the people who say that can't call.If you have a decent looking spread the geese will come to the flag and the call. If calling doesn't work, call harder!