Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 beginning caller questions?? >

beginning caller questions??

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

beginning caller questions??

Old 11-13-2003, 11:57 AM

Default beginning caller questions??

I' m new to waterfowling and was given a Primos " The Original Wench" call..from someone who didnt want it. I' ve seen it used on tv and have heard that one could learn to use it within 15 minutes. I think it came with an instructional tape, however, I dont have that. Can any of you refer me to a website with some detailed instructions of how to learn simple basics to calling or just any advice and what words to mimic for certain calls or how to blow the call?? I know calling is an art that takes many years of practice and experience in the filed and this question is pretty general, but I just wanna learn to use this call fairly well before hunting this winter. I appreciate any advice.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Default RE: beginning caller questions??

Just check out some call manufacturer' s sites and see if they have sound files.

http://www.kwackwacker.com/sounds.htm

There are some there. If you learn the basic one noted quack, you can call ducks. Learn that first, then you can string them together and make most of the calls you will need. Also say a simple, short " duck" into the call repeatedly in a row.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:45 PM

Big Guy' s Best " Breaking the Silence" CD is probably the best calling aid I' ve ever heard. I recommend it to anyone who asks me about calling, and they all seem to show immediate improvement. The biggest thing is to just practice around people who know how a duck should be calling.

good luck.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:28 PM

try the video duckcalling 101 should have it at wal mart good intro to calling and how to string them including when toi call and when not to call. hope it helps
Old 11-19-2003, 10:36 PM

First, great verse in your signature line. Nothing like the truth, huh? I rely on that verse heavily and it brings me peace.

I recently bought the Wench and the Art of Commanding Ducks video per recommendations on this site. Would recommend the video if you have some extra cash. Basically, the video recommends controlling your air with your tongue at the roof of your mouth. Blow, cutting off the air flow with your tongue after you' ve made a quack sound. Keep cheeks firm - don' t expand. Something like TUHHHHH, TUHH, TUHH, TUHH, TUHH, TUHH (that' s what it sounds like without the call - kind of like blowing into a blow gun or shooting a spitwad. I.e. strong, controlled bursts of air). The closer they get the faster you blow the series. 5 to 7 notes/quacks. Call at their butts and sides. Quack softly two or three times (ie series of 2) when they' re real close (Tuhhh, tuh, tuh) or just single quacks.

That' s what I' ve learned so far. Good luck and God bless you brother!
Old 11-20-2003, 08:33 AM

primos makes a good instrustional video, but for me (I' ve been working on it a few years and not quite there YET, almost!!) I like to go out early and set everything up and sit there for that hour before shooting and just listen to them out on the marsh. Then when I get home that afternoon I' ll sit down and blow on my call and try to match the patterns I heard. Also if you know a good caller with patients enough to help you out that goes a long way too. 3 years of work and i still don' t call at ducks often. I quack and feeder but most times thats it. good luck!!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Read my Duck Vocalizations and Duck Calling threads on the " T.R' s Tips " board. They will help you a lot.

T.R.