Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 beginning of rut in MO >

beginning of rut in MO

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

beginning of rut in MO

Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default beginning of rut in MO

Does anyone think that next weekend would be the beginnings of the rut in MO?According to the weather forcast, next weekend looks like its shaping up to be a good time to be in a stand (weather mid fifties with a NW wind). The reason I ask about the rut timing is I'm wondering if I should use some of my tink's 69 doe-in-heat scent bombs and rattling antlers next weekend or should I hold off until the weekend after.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Default RE: beginning of rut in MO

Rut won't start until late Oct. or early Nov. I would say its to early for doe in heat. If you can mimic sparing with your rattleing horns that might bring something in.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:00 PM

Length of daylight hours is what triggers the rut, but this cooler weather coming should help out with having the deer up and moving. I know I;m tired of 70-80 degree temps here in Missouri. Where do you hunt in Missouri, M0-KS hunter ?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

My family owns about 1900 (non-continuous) acres up in Macon county. I hunt a 180 acre plot of mixed soybean crop and heavy timber. Its a pretty sweet setup because their are some women (rumored to be lesbians) that own the land to the north of this plot that refuse to let any hunters on their land, so the deer are nice and unpressured most of the time. This particular plot is about 3 miles east of Atlanta off of M hwy. Do you know if the bucks are out sparing now and starting to chase does?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chaseing wont start for a couple of weeks. The bucks are starting to seperate and the fun is just around the corner. Last week of Oct and all of Nov. is a really great hunting time here in Kansas.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:23 PM

I would say its too early to be using estrous sents. The rut is kicked off by the fall equinox i believe, and thats not til Nov. 5th. So pre rut activity should start around Halloween or close to that time
Old 10-07-2006, 09:27 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Up north it will start a little sooner than down here in the southern part of the state. It's not always completely accurate, but usually the weekend closest to halloween can be a good judge.

Kinda off the subject, but i've hunted the Atlanta area, and know pretty close to where you are talkin about. Would your family be interested in leasing any land?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

hesseu, unfortunately we already lease about 700 acres of land to some other guys from St Louis and the rest of the land that has good hunting locations are already spoken for......
Old 10-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I agree that this weekend is way too early for an obvious change in activity. The cooler weather sure makes you want to be out there though in anticipation of increased deer movement. I would focus my attention for rutting activity to start to pick up in the last week of October....
Old 10-08-2006, 12:29 PM

I would agree that it would be a little early to be seeing any significant rut activity but with the cooler weather coming on and bucks seperating I would look for a little increase in deer movement and activity. Bucks will be wandering looking for areas to call home after seperating. I have seen some small bucks doing some light sparring and I would think that some light rattling might be effective. I hunt in Macon Co. a little bit just north of New Cambria and was just there last weekend. We saw very few rubs while doing a little scouting and hanging some stands in preparation for the Halloween weekend hunt but we did see alot of scraping activity. I guess the 1.5 year old bucks were feeling their oats a little...GOOD LUCK!!!

Quick Reply: beginning of rut in MO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.