Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose Hunting Help

Old 10-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Goose Hunting Help

I have a question regarding how close geese will sit down next to standing corn or woods. The place i am currently hunting is a bit closer to cornfields and woods than i' d like to be. We are about 40-50 yards away from woods and about 40 yards away from standing corn. Is this closer than geese want to be the that kind of cover?
Old 10-31-2003, 09:32 AM

Default RE: Goose Hunting Help

I have not gotten into goose hunting too much yet but when driving around and from what I read/hear they like to land in the middle of fields with a lot of open field around them. This way they can see things sneaking up on them. However, I have seen a number of time where they are 20 yards from the edge of uncut corn or woods. Put out some decoys and I bet they will land with your decoys unless they see you or something else gives you away.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:41 AM

Geese do tend to stay away from ' high edged ' areas do to the predator factor,just how far depends on their mood.In this situation, the more dekes the better
Old 11-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

We have been hunting with about 18 full bodies and about 2 dozen shells, luckly now almost all of the corn is cut and we are able to set up right in the middle.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:15 AM

well where i live the goose hunting isn' t all that great seeing how i am stuck on public lands.but where i hunt i always have alot of geese hold up in the water there so i just scout em and find which fields they' re feeding in then setup between them and the fields, i usually drop 2-4 on the pass to the fields and call it a day.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:17 PM

we had the same problem last year with the corn stubble being too tall. it was nice of the farmer to leave it for us but it made alot of work for me and the guys.if you are allowed to drive on the field that you hunt then use the tires of your vehicle and follow the rows to knock it down. if you can' t drive on the field then use rakes,sickles and shovels to knock it down. the geese seem to not like landing in the tall stubble but when we knocked it down it was like a magnet to the geese. we cleared a spot about 60yds in diameter at first and just kept at it every morning until we wound up with 100yds in diameter and had great sucess for the rest of the year. hope this will help you out.

good luck and good hunting