Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoy Sets

Old 10-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Decoy Sets

Hey all I' m new here so HOWDY!
I' ve been getting into some decoy hunting for Canadian geese for the past two years, and I have a couple of questions. First of all, can anyone point out a place with pics and good explanations of patterns and what not? I' ve been looking everywhere and have had no luck; everything I find seems to be for water sets. I think I forgot to mention I' m hunting harvested ag fields where the geese are coming in to feed. I had problems last year with the geese flaring off after it looked like they were going to come right in, so I' m thinking they' re seeing something they just don' t like.
My other question is how much does a person call? When I watch geese on their own, they never shut up when they' re on the ground and others are coming in, yet a guy I hunted with this year said I call WAY too much. How much is too much? Any help for the n00b would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decoy Sets

OK first of all i think that when u set up goose dekes in the field, you always want to make sure that you have a " hole" in the middle for the geese to land, geese would much rather land in the middle of the decoys (for safety) than on the outside where they would be more likely to be snuck up on. I don' t mean make a ring of geese, im talking more about making groups 3-5 splid apart maybe 5-10 yards in a " U" shape. Also I think make 2 larger groups next to each other with a landing lane in the middle works just as well. I would recomend at least half of ur spread being full bodies, if they are all laying down, its not realistic, u ever see a field of geese ALL laying down? Second of all i would try to get a decoy that simulates some kind of movement it helps a lot. As for calling, yes, you can call to much. I would say that all you need is a series of clucks and feeding calls. If your just not getting thier attention and their goin away, try the famous " come back call" . It is hard to explain by typing what it sounds like, but most times calls come with a explainatory CD which may help you greatly in actually showing what it should sound like and the way to hold your fingers to produce that sound. You said the geese you watch " never shut up" but i think wat your hearing is the sound of other geese landing, geese tend to be a bit louder in the air than on the ground. They are also especially loud when they just landed or are just about to take off. That basiclly all the info i can give you about your questions, hope i helped you.