Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

2 birds with one stone?

Old 10-12-2003, 07:55 PM

Default RE: 2 birds with one stone?

Hello all

Two weeks ago I dropped four blue-winged teals with one shot - all dead when they hit the water.

Years ago (21) when the bluebills were plentiful up here in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada, my brother dropped seven with one shot - 4 dead and 3 wounded. My late Uncle dropped six widgeons with one shot while we were on the way to his camp - 2 dead and four wounded. I have also heard of a hunter dropping 8 with one shot, but I did not witness it, so cannot verify that claim.

Doubles are plentiful and I have had about 4 or 5 so far this year, and have hit 3 and four as well (but not this year). This evening as I was loading up my boat I saw a guy drop 3 - 2 dead and one wounded.

All in all it is not so hard, as long as you are the right distance away so that your shot has time to spread out a bit. The only thing that is making it hard is the scarcity of ducks this year. I know that the bluebill numbers are way down - but they have not come in from the north yet so shooting all round is pretty poor here compared to years ago.

A biologist was up in a plane about ten days ago and says that they are all rafted up in the lakes that no one hunts because they are inaccessible. Guess it is time for me to get a dog, a quad, and build me a rack to carry my canoe.

Hopefully things pick up later on.

Chris

Old 10-12-2003, 07:58 PM

PS ... Quack ..... wait for a single - at least up here they don' t buy the " I only shot once and ***** dropped" story.

Chris
Old 10-15-2003, 03:24 PM

Killed 2 with one shot several times, on mallards, ringnecks, and teal. Best I ever did was kill 4 bluewings out of 5 in one shot as they came off the water. Didn' t want to or mean to, as I already had 1 and the limit was 4. Luckily we didn' t have such a hot day so my brother claimed one. 2 stone dead, 2 with broken wings.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot a single and call it a day.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:16 PM

Last year my Dad went out alone for Goose. The limit was 5 and from the time he had the decoys set to the time he limited out was 20 minutes and he only fired 4 shots.

On another note, he and I were Dove hunting one time and I dropped a dove that was MOVING. Well he turned around and the dove hit him right in the chest!!!!! I was dying laughing!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Well i personally have only done that once, nailed a hen and drake woodie with one shot. I have had a friend who went out goose hunting and shot once and 2 geese folded and knocked another down. He got 3 geese in one shot!!! pretty crazy!