Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

2 birds with one stone?

Old 10-07-2003, 11:19 AM

Default 2 birds with one stone?

I' m curious and am going somewhere with this one, so please help me out.

Who else here has taken two ducks with one shot? I have done this twice in recent memory; once this past weekend on a pair of teal and last season on a pair of mallards (ended that morning 3/2!).

I still can' t figure how I managed the two mallards with one shell. Shooting 12ga Remington 3" #3 steel through a modified choke. Birds were approximately 15-20 yards out and 25-30 ft up coming directly toward me at the time of the shot. Three birds, all at least 3' apart at the shot... I aimed at the one to the left and folded him and the lead bird. I couldn' t recover to attempt a shot at the third mallard as I had to " duck" to avoid one of the falling birds, that would have otherwise hit me square in the middle of the chest.[][X(]

On put-down shots at swimmers, it doesn' t seem like my 870 throws that wide of a shot cone with this load.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2 birds with one stone?

Shot 3 Canadas with 2 shots this fall at about 40 yds. using Kent matrix #1 out of my 870 with mod. choke also about 20 yrs. ago shot 2 bluewings with 1 shot at about 30 yds. with #6 lead out of my Stevens SxS with mod. choke. For sure it does' t happen often.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had the same thing happen a few times. Funny ain' t it?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:06 AM

QA,

I actually have killed 2 birds with one shot dozens of times. Before you discount me as a bragging fool I will tell you why we are able to do it out here so easily. Most of the duck hunting I do is along seep ditches (A big ditch to catch waste water and seep water about 12-15ft deep) Anyway we mostly jump these ducks. A lot of the time you will be right on top of them when you jump them. If they fly in the same direction it is easy to kill 2-3 ducks on one shot. Once I downed 4 greenheads like this. Somehow the hen right in the middle made it out unscathed. But on the pass shooting like you are talking, I haven' t ever made a shot like that. Good shootin.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM

Alright... now that I have a couple of co-signers, here' s a hypothetical situation for you all.

YOU are one bird away from filling your limit, and for the sake of argument, you' re hunting alone. The birds are still flying... What would you do?

Old 10-09-2003, 11:09 AM

Shoot the trailer if it is a green head.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

QA,
This happened to me just last season. It was my first season ever to hunt waterfowl. I was in some thick brush, in about 3.5 ft of water. I already had one wood duck drake, and two more came flying by. I aimed at the drake and when i shot, both the hen and the drake fell.[] Luckily i was with some friends, so i could give the other wood duck to one of them.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had the same thing happen to me. 1 bird over my limit. My buddy already had his limit. After getting the birds and picking up the dekes, we fired the boat up and went back to the dock hoping the GW wasn' t there. It was an honest mistake and i would have argued my case, but I did shoot over my limit and if I got fined i got fined. Luckly the gw wasn' t there so I didn' t have to deal w/ it.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting partner did that today for his first time. Last year I killed 5 in three shots big water hunting all 5 came into the dekes together and all 5 died together, that was kinda cool.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

First question it has happened on occasion to me 2 for 1 in geese, ducks and upland.

To your second it happened to me last saturday on a mallard hunt, we were set up on a deke shoot and were a couple shy of our limit (2 of us). deciding to pack it in and happy we loaded up the coy' s, birds etc. On the way out we saw a group of mallards land in a small slough(pond) and decided to jump them, as I had only 1 left and my partner had 3 I was the pusher. I snuck up and they lifted he dropped 2 drakes and they circled back I picked up the lead drake and his partner which was well back folded. Really weird, the second one dropped immediately but the first bird the one I took a bead on seemed unphased and then just dropped. OHOH...upon collecting the birds I noticed the first was hit where the breast meets the neck and the second bird was hit square in the head. So we had our limit however I actually shot 9 and he shot 7...but to the DNR it was 8 and 8. Oh but wait it happened again same day this time on sharptails, we decided to walk a small area that is known to have these guys in. Walking down the bush on opposites sides I pushed up 2 grouse, hitting one. Then further down he pushed up a single and folded it, working our way back to the truck we pushed up another good sized group where I dropped 1 and he dropped 1. Just before coming to the end a another groups busted I dropped 2 with the first shot...thankfully he missed on his next 2 shots...as we had our limit of 6 (3ea)

Never happen like that for me before and hope it never does. I felt bad but twice in one day that was to much & I can' t explain what the odds would be.

Quick Reply: 2 birds with one stone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.