Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck decoy setup

Old 07-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Duck decoy setup

On a duck pond I hunt, part of it' s w/in 100 yds. of the road and here you can' t hunt w/in 100 yds. of a road. Naturally, that spot happens to be the part of the pond they like best and always land there. How do you recomment I go about convincing them to come to my dekes vs. the spot they are used to landing in? The pond is oval shaped, about 75 yds. long and 50 yds. wide if this helps. I know I need to play the wind right b/c they like landing into the wind, but other than that, I' m stumped.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Duck decoy setup

That' s a tough one. How about a scare crow of some sort? But I guess that would scare the ducks off the pond altogether. It' s only 75 yds long, could you hunt half way down the pond and still be legal? If you were only 30 or 40 yards from the far edge of the pond you would be able to get them.

A little corn would do the trick too![]
Old 07-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

could you put a couple of goose floaters in the spot they like to land (by the road) and put your duck dekes where you can hunt. i think the ducks would see the unfriendly geese and see their friendly bretheren, and choose to land with the other birds of their feather (your dekes).
Old 07-25-2003, 07:19 AM

Ducks and Geese normally share the same waters and are not " spooked" by each other. A lot of times while duck hunting on the River we' ll put out some geese dekes. Their size makes the set easily seen from farther away.

What about setting something white down at the other end, a styrafoam cooler maybe. That might be enough to keep them from landing there but not enough to scare them off the pond.

Have you tried just using dekes here before? Maybe when they see yours at the other end of the pond they' ll come in for a closer look.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Half way down is where i usually hunt. Its not w/in the 100 yds. so im legal. i never thought about putting a cooler or something down on the other end. I wonder if that would scare them off the pond alltogether though. not sure about the geese, either way its worth a shot. thanks for the info fellas!

oh yeah, ive used dekes and they generally still flock to the corner closest to the road, but they' re out of range even on the way in. sometimes i' ll have a few come in and thats what i count on, but im just trying to figure out a way to get them w/in shooting range consistently.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:17 PM

If the pond is only 75 yds. long and you' re in the middle you should be able to get a decent 30-35 yd shot to the end right. Maybe take some heavier shot with you so you can shoot a little further.

If they' re getting by you on the way in they should be taking off in another direction. Maybe you could convince them to take off towards you. Take a sling shot with you and after the ducks land shoot a few rocks into the weeds/water on the other side of them, maybe that' ll scare them towards you on take off and close enough for a shot.