Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best Decoy Setup? >

Best Decoy Setup?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Decoy Setup?

Old 09-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Decoy Setup?

What's the best way to set up a doe decoy? Should you face it away/towards the direction of the potential deer, or sideways? Or does it even matter. Also do you put scent around the deer on the ground or actually on it? I'm thinking about trying a decoy this year, will be something completely new for me.

One more question, would your 3-D practice target deer work as a decoy alright?Visit My Hunting Page

Edited by - kshunter on 09/17/2002 20:15:11
Old 09-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Decoy Setup?

Bump
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 09-19-2002, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Decoy as a buck, put it facing you. Bucks tend to approach other bucks from the front, to stare them down as a dominance thing. Every video of a buck approaching a buck decoy has confirmed this.

Decoy as a doe, put it facing away from you. Buck's want to get downwind to check her out.

It's best to put any scent you use on the ground, or better yet a scent wick hung on a stick under the decoy. Keep your decoys as scent free as possible.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:29 PM

Leave it at home. I had some bad experiences with decoys. Seriously though, I would use scents and would face the decoy either sideways or facing me. The reason for this is that many times the deer will want to make eye contact with the decoy. As such, those positions mentioned would offer a better shot oppurtunity.

Hunt the thickets

Edited by - Belle Island on 09/19/2002 16:30:55
Old 09-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you Kshunter, I just ordered a carry lite decoy the other night. I've never used one, read many articles about it and seen a couple videos where they were used, but have never tryed it myself. I have a spot that 'ol mr. mossy horns has been spotted last Jan. and again just a couple weeks ago, and there aren't any trees for tree stands around, so am going to try a ground blind and decoy. He!!, I'd be happy to see and vidoe this deer, from what I've heard, he is a MONSTER! Hey, Kshunter, are ya going to start hunting in Oct., or are ya going to wait until later? From what I understand, is, to use a buck decoy late Oct., pre-rut, and use a doe during the rut. At least that is what I'm going to try. I'll be back that way late Oct. to try it out. Let me know if you try it, and your results!!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 08:13 PM

i just started using a carry lite decoy last year, and learned a few things. First, spray the gorund or use a scent wick. they are noisy to assemble, especially in the dark. if you keep the decoy scent free, you can hide it in brush or someplace not visible. this way they cant find it. i tie a couple orange ribbons on to keep it from being mistaken as a bedded deer. Secondly, dont use on a field. does are too smart and leary and can tell a fake much faster than a rutting buck. Ive done this, and the does go straight to the other end of the field. Last year i used a doe in a hardwood area and had a small 6 point come in to 5 yards, about 10 times. he must have circled the decoy 10 times. in the mean time a respectable buck came in but had his mind on fighting. when the 6 point saw him, he split and the larger buck followed him. if the 6 point would have stayed, i may have gotten a shot. long and shot of it, i use a decoy in late october here in wisconsin. pre rut gives opportunity to use a buck decoy when they want to spar. dominant buck urine is a good scent, and rattling works too. in the rut i use it as a doe, but decide and shoot quick, cuz the bucks are wound up so when they see a standing doe, they smell it, and try to jump her. i think decoys can be good if used smart and not over done. good luck
Old 09-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Face them according to where you want the deer to end up. A doe decoy will allow the trailing deer to come up from behind. A buck decoy will bring the buck to the front of the decoy and then circle around. Make sure to keep it scent free, unless you are using rutting lures. Good luck in the timber.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info. Howler, I'm just going to play it by ear when I am going to hunt. I will have to plan my weekends, since I can't hunt during the week and work every weekend at Cabelas. But I'll be able to take some time off.

Last question, would a 3-D deer target work, or is it too fake? I know it'd would be heavy but they're cheaper and heck maybe can get a few shots in it before I use it.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 09-19-2002, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info. Howler, I'm just going to play it by ear when I am going to hunt. I will have to plan my weekends, since I can't hunt during the week and work every weekend at Cabelas. But I'll be able to take some time off.

Last question, would a 3-D deer target work, or is it too fake? I know it'd would be heavy but they're cheaper and heck maybe can get a few shots in it before I use it.
Visit My Hunting Page