Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 What makes a good duck gun?? >

What makes a good duck gun??

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What makes a good duck gun??

Old 06-14-2003, 12:55 PM

Default RE: What makes a good duck gun??

My browning BPS has been with me in the saltmarshes now for 10 years and hasn' t failed yet.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:38 PM

I have an 870 Super Magnum in a Break-Up finish and I have Paddled a boat, Busted Ice and Dropped it in mud for 15 min and picked it up and killed ducks with it......they are the best Waterfowl gun out there
Old 06-18-2003, 02:23 PM

I think that u should use a 16 or 20 gauge ,But the it is hard to find 16 gauge shells
Old 07-07-2003, 04:48 PM

This is taken from The Complete Hunter: Duck Hunting -

In years past, no " real" duck hunter would think of going afield with anything but a full - choke shotgun. Of course, a full-choke required a good shooting eye, but it would bring down the high flyers. With the ban on use of lead shot, however, preferances in duck hunting guns have changed dramatically. When purchasing a duck gun, consider the following:

Gauge - The lead shot ban has lead to the demise of the 16- and 20- gauge guns for duck hunting. These guns simply do not deliver enough of the lighter steel shot for a clean kill at normal duck-shooting ranges. Today, the 12-guage is the choice for the great majority of duck hunters, although some prefer a 10-gauge for extra long killing-range power.

Chamber Length - The length of your gun' s chamber determines the length of the shells you can shoot. The standard chamber length in a 12-gauge is 2 3/4 inches; in a 10-gauge, 3 inches. Most 12-gauge magnums have a 3 inch chamber; a few 3 1/2. A 10-gauge magnum has a 3 1/2 inch chamber. A standard chamber is adequate for the majority of duck hunting, although a magnum gives you about 10 percent more range. Never try to shoot a shell longer than the chamber length, which is usually stamped somewhere along the barrel.

Barrel Length - Old-time duck hunters maintained that a longer barrel produced higher shot velocity, resulting in greater effective killing range. It' s true that a long barrel works best for long passing shots, but not because of significantly higher shot velocity. The extra barrel length gives you a longer sighting plane, and the extra weight results in a smoother swing. For pass-shooting or any other type of hunting that requires greater accuracy , select a gun with a 30- to 32- inch barrel. For jump shooting, or any other type of hutning that requires quick shots, a 20- to 26- inch barrel is a better choice because you can shoulder it and swing in a hurry.

Action - Pump and semi-automatic actions are popular in duck hunting, because they enable you to fire 3 shots (the legal maximum under federal law) in rapid succession. The extra shots are often needed not only for multiple kills, but to finish off cripples before they can escape. Most pumps and semi-automatics have a 5-shot magazine, so they must have a plug to prevent inserting more than 3 shells.

Many hunters believe they can shoot better with a sem-automatic, because it has less recoil, and no arm movement is necessary to eject shells. But a pump is more reliable; it has fewer moving parts to malfunction in the frigid weather duck hunters often encounter. Despite the obvious disadvantages of a repeater, many hunters prefer double barrels for their simplicity and the tradition they represent.

Choke - To prevent the shot from scattering too much, shotgun barrels must decrease in diameter at the muzzle. The ammount of constriction, called the choke, determines the size and density of your shot pattern.

Open (wide) chokes, such as skeet and cylinder, are seldom used in duck hunting because they do not provide the shot density adequate to kill a good sized duck at normal shooting distances. Chokes must commonly used in duck hunting ( from widest to narrowest) include: improved cylinder, modified, improved modified, and full.

As a rule, the greater the expected shooting distance, the narrower the choke you should use. But when using a full choke barrel, shot size is also a consideration. Most shotgun manufacturers advise against using steel shot larger than size 1 because abraision from the hard shot may " blow out" the choke. Shooting large steel shot through a full choke may result in overcronstriction and too many " fliers," pelets that sail erratically and seperate from the main shot group.

With all that said, I prefer the Remington Model 870 Express Magnum.

Hope it helps,
Daniel
Old 07-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here' s another vote for the 870. What do you all think of the Browning Gold? I' ve been thinking of buying one. Right now, I just can' t justify spending the $1,000 though...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:48 AM

Certainly nothing wrong with the 870. I have one myself, a shiny wingmaster 12 gauge that I keep in the gun cabinet. Every once in a while I pull it out, give it the oil rag and swing it a few times at an imaginary greenhead. The gun that I actually use is the benelli nova. Before that I used a browning bps, a gun that I swore I would never put down for another. If I had to get rid of all but one....I would keep the benelli. The wingmaster is the prettiest of the three, no question. The bps is a solid gun that will probly last forever. The nova is a functional, virtually weather proof, easy to take apart hunting machine that I shoot better than the other two. That is about all I ask for in a gun.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:22 AM

870 rem is gets my vote. But as stated above, get the one that fits you best.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:46 AM

if you guys are paying $1000.00 for a Browning Gold, you' re paying too much. I can buy the 3 1/2 " for less than $800.00, brand new
Old 07-29-2003, 10:39 AM

Tim,

Look at the Franchi 612.

CN
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM

Check out the Winchester Super X2. The only difference between it and the Browning Gold is that the X2 does not have a magazine cut off button allowing for chambering a different load than what is next up in the mag. Can be had for under $700. I have had one since ' 99 and it has never failed me. Simple to tear down and clean, durable and deadly. You will be happy with it if you decide to purchase one.

Quick Reply: What makes a good duck gun??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.