Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 What makes a good duck gun?? >

What makes a good duck gun??

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What makes a good duck gun??

Old 05-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What makes a good duck gun??

This Remington 870 looks like the way to go.
Anyone strike any negatives?
Our duck season is open and the birds are in the air.
I' ll be out there in the next couple of days.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have an 870 and its a realy good gun. never had any problems and i have shot plunty of ducks and geese with it. it takes the ducks down real nice. i have shot a benelli 3 1/2 " mag and its a real nice gun also. its got the option of bigger shells for geese. but if your goin after the ducks more than anything but still go after some geese too the 870 would be the way to go and i dont think they are as expensive as the benelli
Old 05-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best gun is the one that fits you the best and you are most comfortable with. JMHO
Old 05-07-2003, 07:02 PM

I have to agree with Duckhunter74702. I also have a 870 Express, but I have to admit I can' t hit the broad side a the barn with it. After trying for years, I went to my Browning Citori in 12 Ga. I didn' t want to take it out on the water, but I' m glad I did. I hit ' em, they fall, I eat ' em.

Michael
Old 05-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using an 870(Wingmaster and Express) for the past 35 years. It has never failed me. They also fieldstrip very easily in case there is a jam. It was in a boat with 3 semi-autos a few years back that was sunk during a storm. We managed to retreive everything and with all that slewgoo covering everything, my 870 was the only one that still worked......good enough for me.

Ron

Old 05-08-2003, 12:55 PM

870' s are great. I hunted with one for years. But, after going to 3" fast steel shells, I had to switch to an auto. Bought a camo Beretta Pintail. Recoil operated and never had an issue. Great gun.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:25 PM

definitly a 3 inch magnum but im not sure what else, you do want long range capabilities tho[8D]
Old 06-09-2003, 01:46 AM

I shoot my uncle' s Remington 870 wingmaster that he bought when he was a teen ager and it has had its days it is the most reliable gun and the only way to go when it goes to crap I will bye another one and nothing more. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the 870 as well, yet to have it let me down. Auto loader is something I have considered from my research and talking I have heard the Benilli, older Auto 5' s or Browning is the way to go (Citori, i believe). The Benelli and Browning are touch rich for my blood right now, since I bird hunt less now a days with Bow, ML season right in the heat of bird season...so I have just stuck to old faithful the Pump 870. Good luck!!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:03 PM

i got to agree with everybody else, the remington 870 is hard to beat. it will take any and all the abuse a duckhunter can put out. mine has been dropped in boat and in the blind, took a fall from my atv, you name it. i dropped it in some really thick nasty mud in the marsh one morning and washed it out in some clear water i managed to find. never fazed it. the gun is only 6 years old but looks like 100 years old.

Quick Reply: What makes a good duck gun??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.