HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   What makes a good duck gun?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/29079-what-makes-good-duck-gun.html)

Tim Buma 04-25-2003 04:47 PM

What makes a good duck gun??

Duckhunting starts here next week.
Am thinking about updating my old 1957 SBS Ithaca with something a bit more modern. Probably an Auto 3-5 shot.
Lets hear some recommendations on a gun and ammunition, from the experts.
Down here we can still use lead shot. The steel stuff is only just poking it' s head out with the authorities, I' d say within 5 years we' ll be using steel.
Would prefer something around the USD$300 mark, but open to all your ideas.
I shoot ponds from a blind. (Mai Mai) Will be shooting mainly Mallard, a few Greys and maybe the odd Shelduck, and just very occasionally a Canada Goose or two.
On rare occasions Black Swan.

drgildy 04-25-2003 07:11 PM

RE: What makes a good duck gun??

IMO the old Remington 870 is about as reliable as any gun you can own. Everyone has their own preference but day in and day out it will take alicking and keep on shucking.

jlb66 04-26-2003 03:19 PM

Yep the Remington 870 is a great duck and just plain all a round gun.

arizonawaterfowl 04-27-2003 11:20 AM

Wow I see that you live in New Zealand, what gun maker can you get in New Zealand?:D

Tim Buma 04-27-2003 03:16 PM

We can get most types off the shelf. Also can import or buy on internet.
Most common: Winchester, Remington, Mossberg, Miroku,SKB, Breda, Baikal, Benelli, Rossi, Browning, Franchi, Lanbar, Weatherby etc..etc..etc..

trailer 04-27-2003 07:09 PM

I would have to agree the Remington 870 pump Wingmaster or Express are very reliable shotguns.

OhioDuckHunter 04-27-2003 09:53 PM

I use a Mossberg 835 UltiMag. I love it. It brings ' em down and I am not afraid to get it wet, scratch it or carry it in my boat. I also like the Remington lines. The first gun I bought was a Rem 1100 16 years ago.

BigBore1895 04-29-2003 10:30 AM

Remington 870 Express Synthetic, can' t break it. Load that up with Hevi Shot and you are ready to rock.

OhioDuckHunter 05-02-2003 05:11 PM

If this is not enough fire power, I have heard they use 8 and even 6 bores in England.

duckman66 05-04-2003 09:09 AM

I use a Remington 870 Express pump with synthic stock. I have all the interchangable choke tubes so i can be ready for any situation. This gun is the most reliable gun i have ever shot .