Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Early Season...yawn

Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early Season...yawn

Do you guys get into early wood duck/teal season?

Personally, I have a hard time getting up at 4:00 am, walking a half mile through a snake and mosquito infested swamp in the dark while sweating my nuts off - all forthe 15 minutes,30 minutes max, that the wood ducks are flying.

My cousin is on my case to get out there next weekend, which is the opener for our early wood duckseason, but Iam just having a hard time getting motivated.

Just wanted to know if I'm really missing something.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Early Season...yawn

We don't have an early Wood Duck season in LA. If I have enough water in my duck hunting spot, I will Teal hunt, but it wouldn't break my heart if I didn't go. Where I hunt, it's a pretty easy hunt. It's not a long drive at all, 30 min., and a short easy walk to where I hunt from my truck. It's the perfect duck hunting spot.I have plenty of water this year, so I will be going this weekend. I'll do my quick morning Teal hunt, try to shoot a few doves, come home and watch college football the rest of the day, and drink a few cold ones that evening while eating fresh doves and Teal and watching more college football. Sounds like a pretty good day to me.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM

I would if we had an early season
Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I would love for an early season teal and/or wood duck hunt. We get few teal (inland) because we aren't on a flyway, but man the woodies are everywhere.

I was early goose hunting on the water this past weekend and as soon as shooting light comes the whistlers start diving on the outskirts of my spread. Needless to say I seen 7 wood ducks and two geese, and they weren't responding!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Here in TN, we do have an early wood/duck teal season which i am very excited is opening this weekend. But we have for the passed two weekends had early goose season and i have to admit, i see where your comin from, its hard for me to drag myself out there and burn up when the huntings not as good as it will be in the regular season of the later months, for me anyways...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

I just posted on that other guy's mojo decoy question about woodies.

That post got metalking about pass shootingthem and thinking about them zig zagging down a slough. I think thatmight have started the itch for me. I just might get out there and scratch it Saturday morning.

Alla yall that do have early season and are going to get out there, make sure you put up some pictures on here.