Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Finding geese in the field... >

Finding geese in the field...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Finding geese in the field...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 PM

Default Finding geese in the field...

Im new to goose hunting, and been looking for geese the past 3 days, and finally found about 100-150 in a field I hope to have permission to hunt. If they were there tonight, do they usually go to the same spot to feed every night? Or will they go different places each night? If i get permission to hunt, im setting up right after work. Whats the best set-up with 3 dozen shells, and 6 full bodys? I have 2 avery blinds I am taking, this is a cut corn field. Grass field right beside it, and standing corn on the other side. Will the geese fly in to land with the wind, or against it? Where should i put my 2 avery laydown blinds? I was thinking in the green grass, and make them look like little hills....

Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Finding geese in the field...

ya hide the blinds a bit away from the spread, just so the birds dont see them when they are focusing on the decoys. They will land into the wind, so set up your decoys with a landing zone. A good starting spread would be to make your decoys into a u shape. Geese can change fields at any time, but if you saw them tonight, they will most likely be back as long as nothing spooked them off. Let us know how you do
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Either a U or V. Make it a wide V with the groups of 2-3 geese in each and a gap of a few feet btw each group... The point of the V should be in wind, and you can put a lay down blind about 5 ft from the point. always works for me
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Id set up exactlyin the spot they were in the field and they will land into the wind so the U and V formation is good idea.These are resident birds so make family groups 2-7 mix it up............best way to learn is trial and error good luck and let us know how things go.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tlutterba

Either a U or V. Make it a wide V with the groups of 2-3 geese in each and a gap of a few feet btw each group... The point of the V should be in wind, and you can put a lay down blind about 5 ft from the point. always works for me
Couldn't have said ti better myself, though I am no expert.

ALSO, make sure you don't get the outter geese too far from you. Sometimes the geese will land outside your spread and guys make the mistake of putting dekes too far, IMO (specially if you are shooting less than a 12 gauge, do not know what you will be using).
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Well we set-up in a U, had about 3 dozen dekes, and called in 5 flocks. 1st 2 flocks we had out blinds a little to far back and they came down out of range. The 3rd flock came in, and they turned because my buddys blind fell down some how. But the very last goose in that flcok came down, and got him. Then got another out of the next flock. We went back the night after, and didnt see a single goose.... Think they will come back, or just find another field?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 PM

give the field a break for two or three days and they will most likely come back. try mixing up morning and evening hunts.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Hey saltfisher, my only advice would be wait for your shots, don't be the guy that shoots too soon. If they come over for a look, and they don't lock-up, just wait on them, you'll get a chance.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

You definately don't want to give them a heads up this early in the season. Wait on sure shots because the more you wait the more opportunites you will get. Also if they are approaching and aren't locked, go silent until they completely pass over you, then hit them with a comeback.