Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Tips on finding these early season geese? >

Tips on finding these early season geese?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Tips on finding these early season geese?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Tips on finding these early season geese?

Been all over my area of PA, and just cant seem to find the geese. Was at a local lake of 800 acres, and didnt see any there either. What are some things to look for? Since I work in the morning mon-fri, can i go scouting before dark friday, and be able to find my saturday morning spots this way? Im not sure what way to take this since im not able to scout mornings. Should i stay near water? Most corn is still standing here, but some farmers are starting to cut it down. I was in a freshly cut field labor day, and not one goose all day. There is also a quarry about 1/2 mile from where i was, and was sure to see something.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Default RE: Tips on finding these early season geese?

man its tough put a lot of miles on my truck this summer and ended up finding a hot feild 5 days before the opener takes some luck to........good luck......and once they start migrating it gets easier
Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say you have to keep looking until you find then at Point A, Point B or inbetween....aerials are good help...early morning and late evening scouting trips will be the most productive...also look at lots of different field types...Oats and wheat stubble are theeasiest to find with birdshere in MI followed by chopped corn, hay, and winter wheat sprouts...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

The more eyes the better. Ask some friends to keep their eyes open when driving around and let you know where and when they might see a flock. Also it is a good idea to ask the mailman, UPS guy or anyone you know that covers a lot of ground everyday. It helps to do this two weeks or so before season.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Just spent 3 hours driving around my areas. Tons of farms/corn (lancaster amish country), and some is cut. Didnt see a single goose. The area is hilly, and there was a road going to the top of the mountain. I took that and there was 1 little corn field at the top that was cut, and guess what? Yeah... tons of geese. Just the area was too small to hunt, and houses were around the area. There is thosands of acres around there with huge cut down corn fields, and they have to go to that tiny little field..... GGRRRRR.....lol
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

they will be cutting the rest anytime now in that area, scout, get permission from landowners nearby. I have had huge luck with barley feilds in ny. Try wheat or oats that have been harvested. Also farms near golf courses