Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 field dressing IN THE FIELD? >

field dressing IN THE FIELD?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

field dressing IN THE FIELD?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:46 PM

Default field dressing IN THE FIELD?

hey everyone.. i was just wondering how many people field dress their kill in the field? because my group of hunters never does that everyone i have ever hunted with just takes it back to camp or the house or whatever, dresses it there. then hangs it up to be skinned and quartered in a few days.. we have always noticed that after dressing a deer in the field, (we used to do this) that will attract coyotes to your hunting area and, most importantly, run the deer out of the area for a period of time
Old 12-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: field dressing IN THE FIELD?

Good points and your right.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

I go ahead and field dress, but sometimes I'll drag the deer further away from my stand site. I don't worry about it attracting coyotes as they are already thick as fleas in the areas I hunt.

As to spooking deer, I had the unfortunate experience of hunting over a poached deer carcass this fall. The area was just too hot to not hunt this area. It was interesting to see the reaction the local deer had to this dead deer. It was more of curiosity than fear. Many walked up within 10 feet when they caught wind of it. Deer lack the ability to reason how another deer was killed and death is just a part nature.I found the dead deer Nov. 10 and would guess it was 5 days dead.I killed a 150 class 10 point the fourth time I hunted the area (Nov.24)within sight of the poached deer.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do it where it lays most of the time and haven't noticed anything differant.Beendoing it that way fo 30+ yrs
Old 12-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree the Gut pile will bring the Coyotes which will run the deer off! I try to drag mine away from the immediate are where I hunt! This last Doe I shot, my arrow broke off with the last 6 inches including the broadhead still in her. I had to drag her all the way back to the truck so I could use the headlights so I could gut her without slicing open my hand!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have and always will gut them out in the place they laststood {in the field} because there always will be coyotes where you hunt and its about 35 to 50 ibs less weight to carry on a deer and the coyote''s wont be killin any deer while the gut pile is there but by the time next hunting season goes by the coyotes will have left and the deer will have moved back in but the bummer is that when the wolves move here they will kill whatever is in the area.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gut em where they fall. The coyotes are there anyway and unless you keep leaving gutpiles in the same place, they're not going to get used to a free meal in one particular place.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 PM

some people may find this hard to belive but back in NOvember of this year my cousin had killed a doe and when he came to gut it there was a buck standing over top of it nudging it with hoof.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:18 PM

I also gut my deer where they fall! We have coyotes around here but I don't think it is alot! I do agree thatif they are around the deer tend not to be!
This reminds me on the opening day of archery last year me and my Brother-In-Law hunted about 95 yards apart and we had a black bear come by both of us in the morning! He came right to the base of my brother-in-laws tree and stood up checking him out! He then came down past me at 5 yards from my tree! We did not see a thing all morning! I went back out that afternoon in the same tree and got a nice 8-pointer right before legal shooting hours ended! My brother-in-law did not go back out with me that night so I went to get him and his father to help me get my buck out! It was about a half hour to 45 minutes when we got back to where my buck was laying. I gutted him out and as we were gutting him we heard sticks start to snap behind us. I had a cordless spotlight with so we shined it towards the noise and there was a bear looking in our direction! It is pretty wide open hardwoods where I hunt so you can see pretty far. I say the bear was about 75 to 80 yards from us!! He must of been headed towards my buck! I'm just glad we had it gutted before he came! Me and my brother-in-law tied the legs to a small tree and carried him out instead of dragging him! It was much easier anyways! Needless to say the gutpile was completely gone the next morning!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Always where they fall. The gut pile is usually gone by the next morning. Never seen any ill effects from doing this.

Quick Reply: field dressing IN THE FIELD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.