Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

decoys and calls

Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: decoys and calls

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Why would you NOT hunt with only one caller?

Heck I hate hunting with two callers a lot of the time. Somebody has got to be in charge. The term Pitboss didn't coin itself. There are only three or four people in this world that I'll call with (one customer at a time please). If I am hunting with someone that just MUST call.... I certainly don't have to. Calling too much is cardinal sin #1. With geese... sometimes you can't over do it... but with ducks... oh yeah... big time. Quite honestly, if I for some reason left my calls at home and had to hunt without..... it wouldn't warrant a 30 minute drive to go get them in my book. Decoys... yeah without decoys we aren't hunting..... calls..... not the end of the world. Important... sure.... vital.... not in my book. How many times have you just mysteriously had birds dump into the blocks when you never uttered the first note?
I agree with every word of this. You actually may be surprised if you get out there with only one caller or even stop calling alltogether, especially if you are hunting shy birds. Many times this season we just sat in the blind and let thewind and decoys do their thing and we killed plenty.

If you are going to be hunting with these guys next year, pitch in a dozen decoys you find on sale somewhere and get a decentcall. Duck Commander and Primos make some good cheap ones. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Infact, the only kind of calling that works 100% everytime from my standpoint, is that if you really fog it to a bird that is about to light wide of you... or light really anywhere it sight.. that bird will not land there... it will usually get up and just fly off. I've seen people hunting within sight and sound shot of my blinds overcall to birds... and its amazing. The birds will want into their spread so bad.... they will lock up and pitch in and the guys just won't stop calling and the birds will pull off.

Thats one of the big reasons hunters need to spread out a bit. You can really screw someone up by laying into a call from 300 yards away when ducks are on final approach to land. It is useful if you are hunting a big block all by yourself and birds are trying to light wide... you can't have the real thing sitting 200 yards from you... you'll lose everytime. Keep it simple... hit'em on the corners.... read the birds reaction and behavior in the air.... let that guide you.... you'll wear 'em out!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is some advice I heard on a callind dvd. It is by Scott Threinin, he said to save up 200 dollars, and go in to a sporting goods store and pick out the call you want. I know 200 dollars is alot espcially to a college student, but it is the end of the season right, just save up your money find a jar and put any spare change in it that you have and before you know it you will have 200 dollars. For that call, and probably some extra left over to buy some decoys.

As far as goose decoys BigFoot makes a very good floater IMO I wouldnt buy their FB but their floaters look good. GHG makes very realistic duck full body and floater duck decoys. Their goose full bodys are top notch, but I like Dakota Decoy goose full bodys the most.