Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys and box calls?

Old 01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Decoys and box calls?

I'm new to turkey hunting and was wondering what kind of decoys and box calls everyone is using? Thanks for the input!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:40 PM

Default RE: Decoys and box calls?

I use Feather Flex decoys, a hen and a jake. The only box I take to the woods anymore is my American Friction Cut-N-Paddle. There are a lot of good decoys and box calls made but these work for me.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use the HS Strut Championship box call

i have several decoys but I like a decoy tht looks most real.

I ahve a fw full body "Flambaeu (sp?) but they are bulky to carry long distances.

I have one feather flex I re-freshen each year with a hair-dryer. this will take the fold wrinkles out

I havfe foru or five half shells i really luv. fold up better and look better than my feather flex. But I can not remember the brand.

Quite frankly there are some models of decoys that to my eye look really sad.

JW!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:03 PM

Titleist do you play golf? just wonderd because Titleist is a type of ball anyways back to the question the most life like decoys will obviously work the best, but whatever you dont get a blow up decoy they look terrible, they're too small, and they take forever to inflate-deflate.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I do play a little golf. I'm not gonna get an inflatable one. I do like the compactness of the fold up ones but I saw some the other day and didn't think they were too realistic. But it sure would beat have to carry a full sized one.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:26 PM

As stated earlier in the comments, the decoy needs to be realistic looking. I use Feather Flex because of the portability and they look good set up. They really worked good for me last year.

I have had good luck with the HS Strut Little Duece slate call. Easy to use and produces good raspy hen sounds.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Decoys , BuckWing has the realist coys out. There compact and the colors add life to it.
Box Calls,, QuakerBoy Mini Boat paddle...BT
Old 01-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Typical Buck

I have several styles of decoys, including inflatables that have worked just fine for me. It doesn't matter other than personal convenience and SAFETY (be sure to carry and set up your decoys in a "concealed" manner).

About 20 years ago, an article (John Trout?) in what was then Turkey magazine discussed what constituted a "decoy". The author was able to use a mounted tail of a gob successfully, and just a short white piece of pvc pipe on a stake (the simulated head of a gob). In other words, just parts of turkeys would work fine as decoys. Turkeys have great instincts, but at times they can be as bright as bricks.

My ancient Lynch is always strapped to my side, and sometimes I'll carry a small HS lil strut or a QB Boat Paddle too if I feel I'll need a different sounding box that day.

-fsh
Old 01-08-2004, 11:48 AM

I use Carry Lite decoys because their color is closest to the hens I see. Most of the other kinds of decoys are too brownish.
The box call I use most is HS Strut Ol Mama Hen
Old 01-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I like sceery inflatable decoys in an arrangement of a jake and two hens. As far as calls go, I usually only use a slate/glass call or a diaphram. I feel that I personally make a lot better of a turkey imitation on the slate than any other kind of call. I like the H.S. Strut black widow for a glass call and I have a knight and hale slate. I like the H.S. Strut lite series in the diaphrams.

Quick Reply: Decoys and box calls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.