Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best decoys and calls

Old 01-02-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Best decoys and calls

Ok i plan on next year duck hunting the edisto river which is not far from my home. I have been hunting the swamps and rice fields at my deer hunting club. We mainly get wood duck and some teal. what i need to know is what calls and also decoy are best for the money. I have a 15 foot jon boat with a 30 horse motor on it. I plan on getting a one of those german 10 by 20 blind materal and lay it over the boat and cut a hole where i will sit. Is there places i should look to hunt the river varies in wideness.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Best decoys and calls

u guys come on i really need your help............................ please

Thanks
Will MONEY
Old 01-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best decoys and calls

What kinds of ducks are you goin to be hunting int his area? If nothing else you can't go wrong with plain old mallard decoys. Which brand is up to you, there are some many differences to choose from. Mostly budget dictates what kinda you're going to be getting. If you have no budget then deffinately go with G&H they are the best hands down. If you your on a tight budget you might want to look at XPS, Flambeaus, carrylites, Bond, or Remignton decoys. You can get a dozen decoys from either of these companies for no more than $35 and that may even be high. G&H decoys are around $60-$120 a dozen they are just a better decoy all around. I use Bond's, Flambeaus, and carrylite's for hunting mallards and I've used them for years just touch a few up with paint each year and they work just fine. For Diver's I use the more expensive decoys. As far as calls go everyone has their favorites. That also is dictated by your budget. Acrylic calls sound just phenominal but are out of most hunters price range. Alot of people can't justify spending $100+ on a duck call. The duck call I use exclusevily is the Foiles Migrator Legend double reed. It a polycarbonate call with the same reed insert as the foiles strait meat mallard ($125 acrylic call) but for only $35 I love it you can make any sound you hear from a mallard with that call and it's very very easy to blow. It's a great call. If you have a place to go an try calls out I would suggest doing that to me buying a duck call is kind of like buying a gun you hold a few shoulder them and what ever feels right in your hands and is affordable you buy. It's no different buying a duck call. You should be comfortable blowing the call it has to sound like a duck (some guys forget this part) and you have to be able to afford it. It's relativley simple. I hope that's some hlep on the call and decoy's question as far as river hunting I have no idea I don't hunt rivers. I do know that when you do get your decoys make sure you have enough line to adjust for the river current. Same on windy days, one day 2 year ago I lost 4 decoys from the wind blowing them out into the lake on me. So don't be stingy on the line and weight (weight only if you don't have to carry them very far). Any way I hope this helps.