Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Federal Blackcloud

Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Federal Blackcloud

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

long shots out to 50, drops 'em dead.
You have a different memory of some shots this last week then I do. What about those two you doubled on in front
of the pit that you had to chase down?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Waterproof

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

long shots out to 50, drops 'em dead.
You have a different memory of some shots this last week then I do. What about those two you doubled on in front
of the pit that you had to chase down?
That's good for me, usually they fly off!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:12 PM

LOL ROFLMAO Okay I will give you that one hoss.

Hey when are you guys going to invite Heather over to the house again? This week sounds good to me
Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Colorado Luckydog,

We were shooting #4. Maybe the shot size was still too big. I generally shoot #3 for all ducks, so I decided to go one size smaller with the BC because of the higher density of the BC, but like I said, it still might have been too big. Should I have used #5 or #6 for ducks?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

Colorado Luckydog,

We were shooting #4. Maybe the shot size was still too big. I generally shoot #3 for all ducks, so I decided to go one size smaller with the BC because of the higher density of the BC, but like I said, it still might have been too big. Should I have used #5 or #6 for ducks?

You mean too small? The lower the number, the larger the shot. Until you get to #1.. then

And Black Cloud is still just steel. I'd use the same size you'd normally use in steel. Really a #2 would seem ideal to me. I did kill some geese with the #4s, but again as I wrote in the article, 10 yards didn't just make a big difference... it made a world of difference.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, I understand the way shot sizes work. I though the FS Steel used in Black Cloud was a higher density steel - similar to a Winchester HD load. That's why I chose #4, one size smaller than my usual #3s for ducks.Judging by the destructive capacity of the #4 shot, I though I might need to go another size smaller to a #5 or #6. Again, I was basing this estimation thinking FS Steel was higher density, which should allow me to use a smaller shot size and have the same knock down as a larger shot size of regular steel. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'll tell you what i bought a box of 3 inch 2's earlier in the year for late season divers and just broke them out this morning for geese jsut to try them out. The last decoy in our spread on the ice was 50 yards out and I shot 2 geese just under 45 yards out and 30 yards up with those 2's and both birds were stone deadbefore they hit the ice. I'm very impressed with them especailly when I normally shoot T's for geese.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 AM

i thought bc was just another sales pitch too, but there is no doubt in my mind that this year i have dropped more birds stone dead than with any other steel shot. i bought a box to prove to myself that it was just a gimmick, but now i wouldnt buy anything else.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 PM

I bought a couple of boxes at Dicks sporting goods and I want to say that I paid about a 25 bucks a box. I cuta shell open with my pocket knife and was suprised at the two different types of shot it had. Some looked like minature flying saucers that looked like they could really cut a swath. I also read that they have some sort of flight controlled wad that seemed to be constructed out of a much harder plastic than most wads I have seen. These are just some of my observations. They seemed to kill the ducks just as dead as the cheap XPERT high velocity loads.