Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Federal Vital-Shok Nolser Partition, or Federal Premium? >

Federal Vital-Shok Nolser Partition, or Federal Premium?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Federal Vital-Shok Nolser Partition, or Federal Premium?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Federal Vital-Shok Nolser Partition, or Federal Premium?

I was wondering if I should get Federal Vitalshok .308 150-grain Nosler Partition, Federal Premium .308 150-grain Nosler Partition, or Federal Fusion 150-grain Nosler Partition?

What are the cost differences? I think the Federal Vital-Shoks cost around $35.00, but I don't know about the rest.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM

Default RE: Federal Vital-Shok Nolser Partition, or Federal Premium?

If price dosnt matter i would shoot whichever shoots the best out of your rifle.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey,

Are you considering getting these for shooting paper or are you getting your hunting rig set for the this coming season?

I'm asking because those are some extremely expensive bullets. If you're wanting to shoot premium you may want to invest in reloading equipment.

Sorry I can't offer you any other insight.

Tom
Old 05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Vital shock and premium are the same thing. Premium was the old name and vital shock is the new name. The name change was done about 3 years ago or so.

There isn't a nosler partition available in the fusion line. The entire line of fusion ammo is loaded with the fusion bullet that Federal came out with a couple of years ago.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed. What's the intended use? For whitetails, those premium bullets are probably "overkill"... I use Core-Lokt's in my .243 and Power Points in my .30-06, and they work just fine... Excellent accuracy, excellent penetration, excellent end results, and cost 1/3 of the price of the premiums.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 2007 Cabelas catalog lists 3 Federal Premium 150 gr loads for a .308

The TSX...Barnes Triple Shock...$37.99
The NBT...Nosler Ballistic Tip......$29.99
The Fusion.............................$20.99

CoreLokts are .........................$19.99

Hornady InterBonds are.............$27.99

I have killed at least 80 deer with 100 gr CoreLokts in .243...Just picked up a couple more boxes at WalMart last night at $13.88 a piece, ammo is going up...Best buy a few boxes of your favorite now...

For deer in a .308, the 150gr CoreLokts will do all that needs doing...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Agreed. What's the intended use? For whitetails, those premium bullets are probably "overkill"... I use Core-Lokt's in my .243 and Power Points in my .30-06, and they work just fine... Excellent accuracy, excellent penetration, excellent end results, and cost 1/3 of the price of the premiums."

i have used Sierra Game King and Sierra BTSP bullets in .30 caliber for many years. Buy them in bulk and save a lot that way. Have killed about 200 deer using those bullets. 95 percent of them were bang flops.Sometimes iloadPower Points and Core-Lokts: They are also fine bullets for deer and hogs.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you buy ammo in TN if you are a minor?

Just do what I used to do in high school when we wanted beer....just go down town, find a bum, send him into 7-11 to get whatever you want and buy him a 40 for his efforts....works with alcohol...ought to work with bullets!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Technically, my dad buys the ammo, but I give him the money for it in cash, and he pays with his card.

I plan to use the ammo for huntingWhitetail, I already use Federal Powershoks for shooting paper and coyotes/bobcats.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I guess the question now is,should I shoot Federal Vital-Shok, or Federal Fusion? I hear good things about the Federal Fusions, but the main thing is, I want to have an exit hole in the deer so it bleeds alot and so that I can track it with a blood trail, 'cause the Ballistic Tips sometimes don't have an exit hole.

Those Core-Loks would seem to be solid bullets, and would probably pierce through well, but Federal Powershoks, seem to cost the same, and appear to be a similar thing, and I guess I could hunt deer with Powershoks, at Wally World, they're dang cheap, but at my local gun store, it's expensive.

I still want to put the deer down well, and I know that Federal Powershoks shoot well out of my rifle, and the only other thing I really ever have fired out of the rifle was Hornady SST Ballistic Tips, andI'm not very crazy about those.

Since the Powershoks shoot so well out of my rifle, I figured that the higher-end Federal ammo would shoot well, too.

Quick Reply: Federal Vital-Shok Nolser Partition, or Federal Premium?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.