Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Lean Mac!

Old 12-13-2002, 07:05 PM

Default Lean Mac!

I have a pup which is a descendant of Lean Mac. What can I expect from this dog as a hunter? Will she ever calm down?? At 1 year old, I can barely put up with her in the house.

Also, I plan to breed her in about 18 months. I am not familiar with breeding and some have told me that she has to be "proven" before I can breed her to a good bloodline. Any help? What is proven?

Lean Mac is her Grand Sire.

Thanks to all who reply.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Lean Mac!

I would never breed a dog regardless of bloodlines until they have proven to be a producer in the field. A great bloodline should produce but it is no guarantee. If you can't get her to settle down now why produce pups like her?
Old 12-14-2002, 10:24 AM

I must have misconveyed the question I was asking. Annie is working excellently on pheasants for 1 year old. She is also a good retriever on doves. I have not taken her duck hunting because she has not settled down enough for blind hunting yet.

My question was meant to be steered more toward titles. I have been told that if she does not have a title, breeders of good lines may not breed to her. If this is the case, how do I go about trialing her to obtain a title and how high a title would she ned to be considdered "proven" to these breeders?

Thanks for the comments dr, I appreciate your help.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Unfortunately there are many excellent dogs out there that never get close to a title and some people won't even give them a second glance. A lot depends on your situation. If you have lots of friends that can spread the word for you and get the word out that your dog is a top notch retriever then you might do OK selling the pups. If not then it's an iffy proposition.

For titles there are AKC and UKC (my preference) hunting retriever trials. Do a web search for the respective clubs and find a local retriever club and get involved. AKC hunting retriever leans more toward the field trialing; UKC is much closer to hunting situations.

Good luck!
Link to PowDuck's Homepage
Romans 8:28
Old 12-16-2002, 05:39 PM

Pow,

Thanks. The Annie's sire is Reverand Wichita Thunder. He is a GMHR titled from NAHRA. I do not want to become a famous breeder, I do not have time for this. But if Annie keeps going the way she is, I would like to keep her lines going.

I am training with the English Springer Spaniel club I just joined a couple of months ago. They tease me about my "pony", but they have been a great help. I have some good friends in this club alreay and they would help get the word out if I asked. Thanks again for the information, I will check it out. Does it matter with UKC that she is registered with AKC?

Edited by - OhioDuckHunter on 12/18/2002 22:34:17
Old 12-24-2002, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

You're welcome. Yes, it does matter. In order for your dog to compete at the upper levels of the UKC hunt trials the dog must be registered with the UKC. It's not a real problem to register with them, then you'd be double registered. I did it with my dog. You just fill out a questionaire, a short pedigree, and send them some pictures of the dog.
Link to PowDuck's Homepage
Romans 8:28