Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cam lean?

Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default cam lean?

Recently I had some trouble tuning my bow. Several responses to my post about tuning suggested I look for cam lean. Since this topic came up from several different sources I figure it is not just an individuals pet peeve, so now I am curious. Cam lean is not a term I heard back in the olden days. From the name I assume it means that the cam is not parallel with the string at full draw. Correct? Also, how does one tell if their bow has cam lean? What are the symptoms? And finally, what does one do about it when it is detected?

Thanks....
Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cam lean?

On a Hoyt or a 1 cam,the only cam that can be adjusted is the top or idler because that is where the split yoke is found.

The problem with a Hoyt is it has a floating yoke and must be served in before you can adjust the lean out.

The lean will be quite noticable from behind the bow,the cam or idler will be leaning and all that needs to be done to fix it is to twist the yoke on one side or the other untill it is vertacl again.

The catch is that to be done properly,it has to be checked at full draw but I have found that on most Hoyts,it is really close when checked/adjusted in the static position.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Tfox, you're da bomb!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 AM

its good info, but not quite right. there's a good article at the spot hogg website about cam lean, and i think it should help you understand what its all about, and where your bows most forgiving point is, and why its not correct to set your bow perfect at rest or full draw - unless you have an
'x' system, which is a shoot thru cable system offered on some merlins and martins.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a good read , the leter giblet mentioned

http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter5.shtml
Old 04-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Gracias gentelmen! I appreciate it!!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM

DID YOU LIMB TUNE IT?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Well, maybe.... What do you mean by limb tuning? Man, I hate not knowing what anything is!! But you all are most informative and I appreciate it!!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: TROPHYHUNTER25

DID YOU LIMB TUNE IT?
I think you mean "tiller tuning"?

Quick Reply: cam lean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.