Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
A scary duck hunting experience. >

A scary duck hunting experience.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

A scary duck hunting experience.

Old 12-01-2002, 07:43 PM

Default A scary duck hunting experience.

I got up early this morning at 3am to head out to the lake to get set up. I wanted to try a new spot that I'd scouted earlier and I needed the extra time to get set up. It was about 29 degrees this morning and VERY still and clear. Saw several shooting stars on my way out to the lake. I got to the spot I was wanting to hunt in and from the spot where I parked, it was about a 1,000 foot walk down to the lake through some big trees. I got there around 4:30 and decided to walk down first to make sure it wasn't too flooded or anything. So, I grabbed my flashlight and walked down towards the lake. I was about 50 feet away from the lake when I started to just get the creeps. It was pitch black out there with just a sliver of moon. Very quiet too. I heard an owl off in the distance. There were big dead trees everywhere and I was really getting the creeps now. All of a sudden, I heard something big scratching its way up a tree. I shined my light up in the tree and not even 30 feet away, was a mountain lion or cougar up in the tree. As soon as my light hit it, it let out this high pitched scream like roar. It's fangs were showing and steam was coming out of its mouth. Had I not taken a dump before I left this morning, I would have right then. Every little hair on my body stood up and I was screaming like a little girl. I carry a handgun with me when I don't have my shotgun due to another incident last year where some guy wanted to fight me because he said I was in his spot. Anyways, I pulled it out and fired a couple rounds in the air and it leaped out of the tree and ran off. I ran faster than I'd ever run before back to my car. It scared me REAL bad. I don't know if big cats like that will mess with a human, but it sure was scary being out there all by myself! I hate that when it's really darm like that and your mind starts to play tricks on you. Matt
Old 12-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2002, 08:06 PM

Default RE: A scary duck hunting experience.

That's why I hate cats......Big and Small....Hate to hear it was a bad start to a day of ducking.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:50 PM

Mountain Lions have attacked people, but normally I would guess only when REAl hungry or cornered, or perhaps if you get in with the kittens.

If they are treed like that, my guess would be give them room to run off and they will. I would be worried about my Lab though!!! A cop supposedly spotted a cat here in MO south/west of StL. They are on the move, eh?

--Jim
Old 12-09-2002, 10:06 PM

hehe i got a friend whos a game warden. he picked me up today from school, said he had a surprise. He gave me a knife and a sharpener, said "that thing better be like a razor before we get to my place".

We get to his place and he teaches me how to skin a coug! It was a road kill a biologist handed off to him (he was a little pissed bout that) and so he decided to treat me to it. Pretty animals really, but geez they got some muscle.

I just gotta hunt
Old 12-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

KC10, sounds like your mind was telling you the truth, not playing tricks. Dang, I'da probably soiled my waders, too.

PaintB, how'd that cougar taste? I know bobcat's good. Never had cougar though.
Link to PowDuck's Homepage
Romans 8:28