Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

problem with flaring

Old 12-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Default problem with flaring

while hunting in wisconsin one morning the conditions could not have been better. the decoys were set up just right and the ducks soon started flying over. they were everywhere. the ducks were coming right in although it was still too early to shoot. when the sun started coming up the ducks would lock up like they were coming right in and then they would flare just out of shooting range. my hunting buddy said it could be his air lucky (like the mojo decoy although the wings spin from the air).he thought the wings were too shiny and the reflection was making the ducks flare. could this be or is there a different problem that it could be? any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: problem with flaring

Did you have a blind infront of you or over you. I will say IMO you will fix the problem if you put somithing like camo netting over you that will fix the problem. try that and i will bet you get them IN YOUR FACE!!! Yaaaaa
Old 12-04-2006, 05:27 AM

could be spinner shy
could be movement
could be shiny faces or hands
could be poor concealment
could be poor, too muchor no calling
could be frost on the dekes
could be a bad wind direction for the set-up
could be empty shotgun shells floating

lots of could-be's!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^^^^^

Yes, what swamp thing wrote. A lot of could-be's. But, it is definately something....
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 AM

Mojo's are great and they work great sometimes. Although now that people have caught no, by now many ducks have already seen the mojo looks such as the southern flyways as for wiscousin I'm not sure but if duck hunting is big in your area chances are they have seen a mojo before. you should try to get some ripples in the water either by already standing in the water or riggin up a string to your decoys that you can pull. just be sure to not pull when the ducks are looking or ready to come in.