Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

pump or semi

Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM

Default pump or semi

i was just wondering if you guys prefer pump or semi-automatic shotguns. and what type of gun do your prefer for both duck and goose hunting
Old 11-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pump or semi

Day in and day out, I like my 870 because I don't have to fret over it. However, the same can be said for my 1100. I guess it just depends on whether I have more 3 inch or 2 3/4 inch shells around.

On fair weather days, I usually break out my old A5 16ga or my double guns. But only on nice days, and usually only on walk in, low impact hunts.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like pumps, just cause I'm that kind of guy. I use a Mossy 500 right now, but...it's been giving me some grief, so I may be selling it and buying an 870. Have used an Ithaca 37 in the past, smoothest pump I've used, if only it had a 3" chamber....
Old 11-22-2006, 08:29 PM

i dont know if y'all have a first post requirement. . . but i prefer pumps over semi's for all of my duck/goose hunting. i grew up shooting this old single shot my father gave me then on to an 870. now i have 3 870's and they're all i shoot. some of my buddy's like auto's but i can get my shots off with a pump just as fast if not faster and hit what i'm shooting at...
Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 PM

I prefer the semi-automatic. It allows quick 2nd and 3rd shots without the distraction of having to pump the gun. I do not see a problems with reliability as neither my Remington SP-10 Magnum nor my 12 guage Weatherby SAS have ever failed to cycle flawlessly in the field. In addition, for any given load there is less felt recoil with a semi-automatic than with a pump gun. My 10 guage semi-automatic is more comfortable to shoot than 12 guage pump shotguns I have owned.

Caldoc
Old 11-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used pumps and semi-auto but my preference is semi-auto...
Old 11-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer a Semi.

I'm shooting a Benelli M1 right now, but plan on going to an SBE II next season. I have been convinced that 3 1/2" shells make a difference when hunting late season, either ducks or geese, especially when you use the right choke.

Good luck,
Old 11-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I vote for the auto, semi that is, but that is all I've ever owned. I think when you put it all in the pot and boil it, it's just a matter of what you get used to. There are people who might prefer a double over a pump or auto, but I just can't bring myself to like em.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:07 PM

I like pump and semi but if I had to choose Pump...Pumps are more reliable, more shell conservitive, And just a little more resistant to weather. You can get some dirt, rain in the thing and its still chambering shells. I have a semi and its pretty good but gets jammed more than a pump
By the way...
Semi- Remington 11-87
Pump- Remington 870 aka "The Work Horse" or as my cusin like to call it "The Merganser Magnmum"
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 AM

i like the pump. have had much trouble with them. my dad's semi berreta is nice but it jams and doesn't pick up shells sometimes. The 870 i shoot works great

Quick Reply: pump or semi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.