Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

So what is my problem??

Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM

Default So what is my problem??

O.K. so I have hunted this piece of property like maybe almost ten times now. It has Huge amounts of deer and coyote tracks going in every direction.. I have hunted in all temps. and hunted at different times of morning, day and evening. I have been using mouth calls, some times I howl, sometimes I distress and sometimes I do both along with some crow calling. I have even been putting out some bait. The bait is being demolished but I have yet to see anything!!!! I don't want to keep going there and educating those yotes to my tricks but I really want to take one or more from this property since it is one of my favorite deer spots.. Any Ideas of why I am not seeing any yotes? Is it my Timeing or do I just stink at it.. Any tips would be greatly appreciated... thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Default RE: So what is my problem??

No, you don't stink, well, I am not sure. Have you taken a shower lately? Lol, anyways with the coyote thing. Right now, in the west where I am at, the coyotes are not favoring the same routines, especially at this time because any available females are looking for mates. The weather here is not being cooperative as well, as well as the deer herds are constantly moving. Routines are being changed, but they will be back in Spring. Otherwise, its pretty much nature that is taking hold, unless a new, badass predator has moved in, or the trails have been destroyed my others with their scent.....Who knows, but they will be back.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

You didn't give much info about the area you are hunting, where it is located, thick brush, open country, farm land, ect.

First, are you getting into the area without the yotes being aware of your presense? driveing up to a 10 acre parcel in a 4x4 with glass pacs blaring, radio booming out the bass, slamming the doors, coughing and clearing the throat on the way to the stand while we finish off the last drags a cigar, ect will make the chances of a yote even being within a mile of the stand. Coyotes also are not too fond of deodorant and perfume.
Camo is a must. An open jar of skunk essence about 3 feet down wind does wonders. It also does wonders if you spill it on yourself and have to wear those cloths on the drive home.
Set faceing down wind,(wind blowing over your back) as the yote will circle around to get a smell on the critter making all the noise, and will approach from down wind. Be sure that you can see the coyote before he gets a wiff of your scent. If he thinks he smells a human, you will never see him. He will be in the next county in a couple of minutes. If your bait pile is properly placed, you should be able to approach it from down wind without being seen and can often take an unsuspecting yote or two feeding off of it. You may have taught the coyotes to avoid the calls you have been useing. Try a new, completely different sound that they haven't heard before. Poor callers can take a lot of coyotes IF the coyote doesn't know that a human is present. If they suspect human presense, the best caller want even see one. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:58 PM

SNOOKY: well the area that I am talkin about is in N.H. I am hunting a power line stretch this is pretty hilly and rocky with swamps here and there along both sides. at the top of some of the hills I can see for a couple hundred yards down the powerlines. There are some old logging roads but access to these powerlines are restricted to 2 or 3 areas. I know that the den is between where i park the truck and the powerlines but I dont know exactly where the den is. The other way to access the area has been flooded out with water about 2 feet deep and I dont trust the ice yet. The woods around the powerlines is typical NH woods. Mostly hardwoods with alot of underbrush. There is snow cover that allows me to see into the woods for a good distance. The bait I drop is never more than 100 yards from me in plain view. Like I said, the bait is getting hit at night and there is soooo many deer and coyote tracks and a rabbit track here and there. I have been having the hardest time getting them to move for me. Maybe it's time to switch locations? And I am pretty sure I am the only one hunting it. Are these yotes REALLY smart or am I REALLY dumb? thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM

sounds exactly like my situation.......tons of tracks........rabbits are being torn apart.....and other signs. What I suggest is walking to your area and leave your truck a fair ways away from the area you plan to hunt. You say your bait is being demolished well what I would do is keep putting bait in the same spot so they know where the food is and on a full moon with clear skys put out your bait and pull an all nighter you are bound to get one. But dont give up you will connect.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:46 AM

MATTL: at least your seeing kill sights, I have not found a kill sight or any droppings. Just tons of track and they are snatching the bait!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

Browning; I have never hunted your part of the country, but have hunted yotes from East Texas through New Mexico up to Idaho and have found them to be very smart. Are you sure that the tracks that you are seeing are not dogs that are rangeing away from home at night for a roamp with other dogs. I talked to a local ranch hand just about 3 weeks ago that had to shoot his stock dog for killing calves. He was with a pack of dogs that belonged to local ranchers and was almost 10 miles from home. If hunting with a light at night is legal, I have found that to be productive when all else fails. Just keep the light pointed upward until you spot the glow of their eyes in the dim light from the very edge of the beam, then lower the beam and shoot before they spook from the bright beam.
You seem to be useing small bait peices to lure them in. Get a large bait and wrap a few strands of wire around it and tie it to the base of a tree or, drive a stake into the ground so as to anchor it and keep them from dragging it into the brush where they are unseen. Remember, that the key is always to get into the area undetected, and remain undetected until the shot is made. The animal should die without suspecting that a human is in the area. If you should make a kill, just sit tight and call for 4-5 minutes as his buddy is likely not far away and a double is a real possibility.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 AM

SNOOKY: yes night hunting is legal to do and I plan on it. as far as house dogs ranging out, well thats possible BUT when they hit my bait they dig and scratch and pee all over theplace where the bait was. that tell me coyote's are doing it. I have never known a domestic dog that has done that, maybe just snatch the bait and run. And yes I have no access to dead calves or anything like that so I use people meat (not meat from people) like bad hamburgh or chicken, whatever goes bad at my house or leftovers from a restaruant whatever i can get me hands on. I just thought by dropping it and watching it I might be able to lure a yote in for a free meal. NO SUCH LUCK! I asked a couple of places for meat scraps but they say no because of liability reasons... Well I;ll try the night thing and see how it goes, thanks for the awesome tips and if you wanna pass more on then I'll be happy to take em.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

find a dead deer on the side of the road and drag it out there or if to heavy cut its legs off and drill thru the bone and put wire thru it and tie it down some where should work make sure u get the rotton legs smells more
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

If havn't tried already go out to your spot at night. sit on your bait and just wait. The coyotes you are after might feel safer after dark.