Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Wind and decoy placement

Old 08-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Wind and decoy placement

Im working on my setup and am getting cofused. With a north wind the geese will come out of the south to land.with this sort of situation i set my actives and feeders facing into the wind (north). correct? if this is correct, my dekes will be facing towards me. i know i probably have all of you confused by now but any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Wind and decoy placement

Don't face your decoys into the wind as it will look like they are getting ready to take off. It won't hurt to have a few at the end of the spread facing into the wind as it will look like they have just landed and are making thier way to the group. Face the majority of your decoysthe same way as the wind is blowing to simulate them greeting incoming birds.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wind and decoy placement

Definatly don't face all your decoys into the wind. Like hunterdeneugene said, the only time geese look like that is when they're about to take off. In my opinion you should just face them random directions mostly, because thats how they look naturally. Maybe have a group of 5-10 with their backs to the wind in front of the landing area like they are the ones doing the calling and greeting incoming birds like said above.